Why did I produce milk and have so much discomfort after my Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I am diabetic and had 370 cc gummy bear implants under the muscle. My left breast healed fine but my right breast started getting hard, hot, big and liquid started to come out of the incision. I went back to my surgeon and was treated for a staff infection. Milk production wouldn't stop. About 3 wks after taking antibiotic shots and oral I noticed a foul smell and decided to take them out. Can you please let me know how common this is. What can I do different if I try again?

Infection after breast augmentation

Sorry to hear about your implant removal, but from all accounts you had a infection which would not clear up until this was done.  You should wait a few months to make sure the infection has cleared and then you can have them reinserted.  Your diabetes makes infection more of a risk after any surgery.

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Infection

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. Unfortunately, diabetics are more prone to infection, which has happened in your case. The "milk" that was coming out of your incisions are actually pus or discharge due to that infection. Make sure your blood level sugars are normal and controlled before proceeding with another procedure. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Why did I produce milk and have so much discomfort after my Breast Augmentation?

Your photos and description show that you had an infection. You had purulent discharge or pus leaking out of your incision. This was not milk. Infections are more common in Diabetics. Next time make sure your blood glucose levels are well controlled. Thank you for sharing your photos and questions. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, San Diego Plastic Surgeon.

Gregory Park, MD