What procedure do I need to remove this extra skin on eyelid? (Photos)

A few years ago I got a dry patch on my eyelid. Afterwards I was left with a loose flap of skin near the inner corner. I hate the way this looks and feels. Is it possible to remove it? I would also like both of my eyelids to be smoother and less saggy in appearance. I am only 31, what options do I have for more youthful looking eyelids and what would the price range be for this type of procedure?

Extra skin on eyelids

Great question!  Yes it is possible to remove the upper eyelid skin, it is called a blepharoplasty, and looking at you photos, it could provide you with a more youthful appearance.  The tissue around the eyes tends to age us, so any procedure that is done to this area can turn back the hands of time and provide a more rejuvenated appearance.

This procedure can be performed either awake with local anesthetic or asleep.  You will need a physical examination to determine the amount of tissue to be removed and if it obstructs your vision.  Best of luck and hope this information helps!

- Dr. Roger Tsai     @DrRogerTsai

Extra skin on eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

- Dr. Roger Tsai     @DrRogerTsai

Extra eyelid skin

Although you are very young, you may benefit from an upper blepharoplasty in which excess upper eyelid skin is removed.  The "loose flap of skin" you are bothered by can be removed at the same time as well.  This can be done under local anesthesia.  Good luck!

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Extra eyelid skin

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

What procedure do I need to remove this extra skin on eyelid?

You would likely benefit from upper blepharoplasty (skin only). See following website link and video. It can be done under local anesthesia. Need to examine your eyes.

What procedure?

From your photos, I think you would be a great candidate for an upper lid blepharoplasty.  The design of the surgery would have to be modified to address the thickened skin but I believe you would appreciate the improvement in your eyelid appearance.  Since you're in your 30s you may elect to have repeat surgery in 15 -20 years if the redundant skins recurs.  Best of luck.

What procedure?

Options to safely treat extra skin on eyelid on 31 year old.

When addressing extra skin on the eyelid, it's important to have a thorough evaluation and to be conservative. This is important regardless of age; however, I would even more conservative in a younger patient.

Low hanging eyebrows can make normal eyelid skin look excessive. Aggressive skin excisions can result in problems holding your eyes closed. I recommend a complete consultation where the surgeon can ask you questions, examine your eyes, brows, and skin before recommending a treatment options appropriate for a safe and happy result, such as skin only upper blepharoplasty. Safety comes first. 

Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty

Although you are very young, you definitely have extra skin with multiple creases on your upper eyelids. You are an excellent candidate for a skin only blepharoplasty with eyelid crease formation. If properly done, this should eliminate the extra folds of skin that are making you look tired and older. The results of this surgery should last for many years.

Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty

The cause of the dry patch of skin is unclear from the photos. Since it has been stable for a few years, it shouldn't cause any problems to have it removed along with a conservative removal of the excess upper eyelid skin. The incision in performed in the eyelid crease so it is not visible when the eyelid is open and heals within a few days. Bruising is usually minimal and you can return to work as soon as you feel comfortable. The only limitation after the first 24hrs. is cosmetic. Pain is easily controlled with Tylenol and unless you have significant bruising that would make you self-conscious, office work could be performed as soon as you feel comfortable. Any bruising is normally gone in about a week, and the sutures can be removed in as few as 4-5 days. The procedure can be done under local anesthesia with or without oral sedation. The customary fee is  around $2500.00.

John Standefer MD

John Standefer MD

Upper lid

You don't have a well defined crease on either side, so the skin looks loose.  A conservative upper eyelid bleph with formation of a good crease should make it look much better.

Upper lid

Bleparoplasty

You could easily excise the small area that bothers you, it would be a minimal procedure. It is hard to tell from your pictures but I think you have enough excess skin on both lids to do a blepharoplasty which would take care of the area on the inner corner and give you a more rested appearance. Good luck, Jane 

Bleparoplasty

Upper Eyelid Skin

This is a good question.  It appears from the photographs that you do have excess  skin on the upper eyelid.  This is easily handled with an Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty.  This is a common operation and I like to tell the patients it is as easy as going to the dentist.  After training with Dr. Henry Baylis, a leading Occuloplastic surgeon, this is how I refer to this procedure.  It is performed under local anesthesia and the stitches come out in 7 to 9 days.  Skin and fat is removed at the same time.  You can go back to work the next day or the following day.  You will look refreshed and your eyes will be beautiful.  This is the 1st and easiest place to start with rejuvenation of your face.  I always say, your face your Diamond.  Polish it brilliantly, and you will shine.  Good Luck.

Upper Eyelid Skin