Will previous surgery inhibit buccal fat bad removal?

Will a rhinoplasty w/an implant that has a pocket made near my pyreform aperture make the surgery dangerous? I have a custom carved medpor implant w/a portion near my cheeks. I'm afraid the intraoral incision will lead the implant to become infected. #buccal fat removal #risks #previous surgery #infection

Buccal Fat Pad Removal

Thank you for your question about buccal fat pad removal.

By accessing the buccal fat pad directly along the zygomaticomaxillary buttress laterally (this is lateral to the piriform aperture),  a skilled surgeon should be able to successfully avoid your facial implant.

You are correct, however.  Having previous facial surgery in the area does present some increased risk with additional surgery to the area.  This is a risk you will have to balance with how badly do you want buccal fat pad removal.

To be sure what might work for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

Buccal Fat Removal

This is a very good question; however, experienced surgeons should be able to perform your buccal fat removal with avoiding the previous surgical implant area.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek. 3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD