Will previous surgery inhibit buccal fat bad removal?

Will a rhinoplasty w/an implant that has a pocket made near my pyreform aperture make the surgery dangerous? I have a custom carved medpor implant w/a portion near my cheeks. I'm afraid the intraoral incision will lead the implant to become infected. #buccal fat removal #risks #previous surgery #infection

Buccal Fat Pad Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question about buccal fat pad removal.

By accessing the buccal fat pad directly along the zygomaticomaxillary buttress laterally (this is lateral to the piriform aperture),  a skilled surgeon should be able to successfully avoid your facial implant.

You are correct, however.  Having previous facial surgery in the area does present some increased risk with additional surgery to the area.  This is a risk you will have to balance with how badly do you want buccal fat pad removal.

To be sure what might work for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

Will previous surgery inhibit buccal fat bad removal? = it won't inhibit it but could make it more difficult #buccalfatremoval

Placement of cheek implants like medpor requires an incision inside the mouth that is usually close where the incision for the buccal fat removal procedure is performed. Therefore, if there is any residual scarring in that area, buccal fat removal could be a little bit more difficult but not impossible  ( it won't "inhibit" the possibility of performing the surgery.

Once a patient have a medpor (porous polyethylene) cheek implant for a little while, it becomes "incorporated" but the soft tissue. Therefore, it is unlikely of being infected by surgery performed around that area. However, it would imperative to start prophylactic oral antibiotics BEFORE the buccal fat removal surgery to minimize the risks of implant infection. 

Patients interested in buccal fat removal  should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face

John Mesa, MD

Buccal Fat Removal

This is a very good question; however, experienced surgeons should be able to perform your buccal fat removal with avoiding the previous surgical implant area.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek. 3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD