Can you tell if you have a polly beak deformity with your cast on?

I am a few days post rhinoplasty but when I look at the mirror it kind of looks like I have a polly beak, is it too early to tell or is this a good indication that the job done wasn't proper.

Polly Beak Deformity with cast on

Hi askigquestions. Unfortunately you cannot tell if you have a "polly beak" deformity, especially a few days after surgery. You are still very swollen, even after the cast comes off. Generally the swelling should subside by three to six months. I wish you the best of luck!

You will not be able to definitively tell if you have a polly beak deformity while your nasal splint is on. Even after your plastic surgeon removes the splint and tape, you will most likely have significant swelling from your rhinoplasty. So, be patient. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, San Diego Plastic Surgeon.

Gregory Park, MD

Recovering from rhinoplasty and evaluating for pollybeak deformity

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of your nose for breathing or appearance. Pollybeak deformity describes a nose where the highest point of the bridge is in the supratip area. Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that healing process is waiting for swelling to settle before judging the result. With a cast on, it is impossible to determine whether you have a pollybeak deformity. Similarly it will take months before the swelling goes down enough to evaluate the contours of your nose. Act too early and you'll be chasing a moving target. I recommend keeping up with your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can keep you on track for a safe and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Polly beak deformity wtih cast on?

Polly beak deformity refers to when the supratip(area just above the nasal tip) is higher than the actual tip; this makes the tip look like it is drooping. Whether you can see this with your cast on, I can't tell you for sure; You can provide a photo if you want more recommendations.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

No

It would be very difficult to impossible to tell if you have a polly beak deformity of the nose while you have your cast on from surgery.  You need to wait until the cast comes off which for you should be soon.

Andre Aboolian, MD