Post labiaplasty? Look DEFORMED! Help! (photos)

After wedge labiaplasty I know have these awful folds of skin around my labia - at the sides. These were categorically not there before, I took a lot of photos. Why has this happened?! Can it be fixed? Devastated.

Folds after labiaplasty

Unfortunately the photos did not come through. If you need a revision I would recommend waiting 4-6 months and seeking an experience revision labiaplasty surgeon who can show you before and afters of revisions. Best wishes. 

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Do I look deformed after labiaplasty?

Dear Clarerose,

Thank you for writing in with your concerns and photos.  I am sorry you are feeling worried about your surgical results.  Unfortunately, your photos did not come through.  During the healing process, the swelling of the tissues makes it hard to know how your final results will be.  It takes about 6-8 weeks for things to look more normal.  Please re-send pictures as you are healing so we can better assess your results.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  Your photos are not able to be viewed.  Could you please download the photos again to assist in answering your question. Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you require a secondary procedure in the future, I would recommend an experienced genital surgeon even if that requires traveling. Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Revision labiaplasty

Dear ClareRose:

First allow me to say - I can not view your photos adequately for some reason.  There are two photos but they are just close up of skin. Perhaps it is my browser.  That being said I am sorry to hear of your post operative results. This is one of the most common complaints I see on the RealSelf website i.e. patients upset with the results of their labiaplasty.

I  have been performing labia revisions on botched surgery for more than 16 years and most revisions can be performed only after waiting for at least  3-4 months after the initial labiaplasty surgery. Choosing a cosmetic vaginal surgeon or any surgeon should be one of the most important decisions of your life. Failure to choose a surgeon with experience, expertise and one who achieves excellent results is not an easy find especially a surgeon who has experience with botched labiaplasties.  Please don’t just choose a surgeon because they claims to be specialist in plastic surgery --- choose a surgeon who can prove to you they are specialists in revision surgeries of poorly healed or botched labiaplasties..  Your next surgery might be your last and you want to get the best possible results with the next surgery.

Choose a surgeon who has great before and after pictures especially in the realm of botched labiaplasties

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Post labiaplasty?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. Unfortunately due to the thin nature of the labia minora tissues they are prone to significant swelling which is masking your long-term result.  I would recommend allowing your results to mature over the next 6 weeks and then reassess your results.  This maturation will offer a better idea of your final appearance.  Hope this helps

Labiaplasty recovery is challenging

as you have marked swelling and sometimes bruising that take weeks to resolve.  Be patient and realize that your labia will be smaller and not protrude as much as it did prior to your procedure.  And as you heal and see your surgeon in follow-up, you should let him/her know of your concerns so you can either be reassured that all is going as planned or if there are problems from your procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Concerned with Post-Op Appearance

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and the way in which your body heals.

Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

I'm sorry, but the photos do not show much of the appearance of your labia clearly. If you are worried or concerned at all it would be best to visit your plastic surgeon to have the area examined to make sure that the healing process is going well.

Post operative swelling

Sometimes it can take nearly 2 months for all of the swelling from surgery to subside due to the generous blood supply to the genitalia.  Make sure to eat a healthy diet and include lots of anti-inflammatory foods in your regimen.  Follow up with your surgeon after such time if the look is not to your satisfaction.  Thank you!

Post labiaplasty? Look DEFORMED!

Thank you for your question and the photos.  You do not mention if the labia minora or majora or both were treated.  Pre-op photos would be helpful.  If it was only the minora that was treated, then it is likely that you have residual swelling that is causing the extra folds, and this should resolve with time.  Permanent folds involving the labia majora after minora surgery would be highly unlikely.  I hope this helps.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after labiaplasty

It looks as though you have a significant amount of swelling in the labia majora still. This will likely resolve with time. You should, however, voice your concerns with your surgeon so that he or she can give you an expected course for resolution. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD