Is it possible to play sports and do martial arts after nose surgery?

After complete recovery of nose surgery (for any part of the nose), is it possible do play sports and do martial arts?

Playing sports post rhinoplasty

It is honestly going to depend on the level at which you play. If you are a professional, I would always recommend that you wait to have a rhinoplasty until after you retire simply because there is such a high chance that you will injure your nose. If you are someone who likes to play sports and do martial arts for fun, you should be fine to return to play after a month. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Activity after nose surgery

It is possible to play sports and resume other activities such as martial arts after having nose surgery. If you perform contact sports routinely or professionally, it may be wise to do hold off on any major nasal surgery or cosmetic rhinoplasty that alters the framework of your nose until after you retire to minimize the risk of having to have additional surgery if you have an accident. Additional surgeries are typically significantly more complicated and difficult due to scar tissue and altered anatomy. Another option is to wear protective gear to avoid injury. If you are planning on having a minor procedure such as skin only or deep internal surgery performed, it should be fine to continue your activities. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Sports and martial arts after rhinoplasty?

these can be done after the nose has healed. If you are a professional I would advise waiting until your career is over. 

Sports and rhinoplasty recovery

I think so long as you're breathing is still functionally intact after your rhinoplasty, then yes you can return to Sports and martial arts. Obviously you want to wait several weeks before doing so and follow the directions your surgeon gives you. Of course, you can always get hit in the face and break your nose after you heal but that could've easily happen to you if you never had a rhinoplasty anyhow. It's up to you. It's a judgment call. Early on in healing do exactly as your surgeon tells you.

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sports after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  As my college has stated it depends on the level at which you play. If you are a professional, I too would recommend waiting until you retire to have any type of rhinoplasty surgery  because there is such a high chance that you will injure your nose.  On the other hand if you play sports and do martial arts for fun, you should be fine to return to play after a few months. 

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

After complete recovery from nasal surgery, especially if boney work was performed, you could return to martial arts after two months.

Fred Suess, MD

Playing sports and martial arts after nasal surgery

It is possible to place contact sports and martial arts after nasal surgery. It is important to wait at least six weeks after the procedure before undergoing contact sports. Obviously it's important not to get hit in the nose after all this work has been done. 

Exercise after rhinoplasty

I would recommend easing back into exercise including martial arts around three weeks.  You would have to be hit in your nose quite hard to cause a problem.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Sports and Martial Arts after Nasal Surgery

My response will be influenced by several factors including what will be done to your nose and your level of competition. When I've had professional martial arts competitors and boxers ask about rhinoplasty surgery I strongly recommended that they delay surgery until after their professional life.

Rhinoplasty recovery

You can play sports and do martial arts after nasal surgery.  After a month, the nose will have 95% of the structural integrity that it did before the surgery.  Anything that would break the nose at that point, would have broken it without having had surgery.  One caveat we suggest for our MMA and boxer patients, is to do a cartilage sparing technique for anything done to the septum.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD