Does placing grafts at the tip of the nose make it less likely to drop?

My surgeon placed grafts at the tip of my nose during my primary rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago. My nose is now currently very upturned and I am nervous that the placement of the grafts won't allow it to drop. I know I have to wait for the swelling to go down but the grafts are causing me much anxiety. Could removing the grafts help drop the tip? Thank you doctors.

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

Dear justjared, You are early in the recovery phase and should see your surgeon often for follow up appointments and keep an open line of communication open so he/she can provide you some peace of mind. Your surgeon can discuss the types of grafts used and how they will effect the appearance of your nose. It is to soon to do anything at this time. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

POD # 2 wks with upturned nose

Your nose will change significantly over the next year so try to be patient with the healing process.  These questions and concerns should be directed to your surgeon, but I wouldn't rush to take anything out at this point.  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty grafts

Cartilaginous grafts are frequently placed in the lower third of the nose to provide structural support and contour. If you are only 2 weeks post surgery please don't be anxious as the final results are months away. The nasal tip stays swollen longer than any other part of the nose post surgery and the final product has yet to be revealed. Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon but I would not advise another surgery at this early stage. 

R. Graham Boyce, MD
Covington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Grafts and nose

Hi,

It is too early to tell. Generally, the up turn of the nose comes down as swelling improves. Be sure to let your surgeon know your concerns and he/she can best guide you. It's too early to remove grafts or go back in just yet since rhinoplasty results can take some time. 

Best wishes in your recovery,

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Tip grafts

Tip grafts can be placed to raise and reinforce the tip or just placed as an onlay to provide a more refined tip shape; Depends on the graft and how it was used. A photo would help us advise you on whether your tip is positioned appropriately.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Tip Grafts

Tip grafts are used almost exclusively for tip projection. Their position precludes them from creating  tip rotation. Swelling, on the other hand, can cause tip rotation and tip projection, both of which subside with time. Be patient. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tip grafts

Thank you for the question but you are too early post op to judge your final result.  That said ask your surgeon his expectations regarding your tip as he knows what was done

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD