Would any physicians trust Kybella? They say you should wait several years when a product is new.

I am researching products for a spa. We were interested ih Ultherapy and have decided against it. We don't need that mess on our hands. I am curious if anyone has had any problems with Kybella or any thoughts on it? Thank you.

Kybella

Thank you for your question spawoman. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA-approved non-surgical treatment for the double chin. I am not sure what mess you are referring to regarding Ultherapy. I have seen great results. We have not had problems with Kybella in our practice. Kybella has been used overseas for several years. I do not recommend medical treatments at a spa, unless it is a medical spa with physician supervision. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Do physicians trust Kybella?

We have been treating patients in our office over the last 10 months with good results and happy patients.  I had a treatment myself a few months ago and have also been pleased.  It has been approved by the FDA.  There is a reporting process in place for adverse events after release, and a recent article in the skin therapy newsletter reports that they have not been receiving any new reports of significant adverse events since the release.  Patients need to be prepared for 3 days of swelling but no one has really complained about this as we had prepared them for this before hand.  And most patients are going to want 2-4 treatments, but all of my patients ( and myself) have had a nice improvement after the first treatment.  Patients like the gradual improvement, and little to no downtime. So I would be confident in giving it a try.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Kybella

Kybella is FDA approved and safe and remarkably effective at reducing the submental fat under the chin.  It is amazing and needs no surgery and very little down time.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella

Kybella has had testing by the FDA as it is a pharmaceutical.

Pharmaceutical testing is a higher standard than machines treatments such as Ultherapy.

In addition, Kybella is natural. It occurs in the body for digesting fat.

Kybella

Since Kybella has been approved by the FDA (which as we all know is an exacting promise), I don't think you will have any problems. I've been using it since it's debut on the market with exceptional results.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your questions. It is always wise to never be the first or the last to adopt a new technology or technique. That being said, Kybella went through a rigorous FDA trial before approval and has been shown to be safe and effective in the treatment of submental fullness. 

I think it is an excellent treatment and I have been very pleased with the results thus far. I would say that at this point, I have no issues with "trusting" the product. 

Hope this helps!

Kybella

Thank you for your question. Kybella is the first and only FDA-approved injetible that contours the neckline by eliminating submental fullness due to submental fat. There are few side effects to the treatment, but redness, bruising and minor swelling can be expected. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella FDA vetted

Any injectable has to undergo clinical trials before FDA approval. The trials treat actual patients and studies must prove both outcome and safety.

However, ANY injectable safety and effectiveness relies on the knowledge and ability of the injector.

Risk increases when the injectors are not adequately trained or don't have an in-depth knowledge level of anatomy. Kybella must be carefully injected, so it's not a treatment to be delegated to staff who are not trained physicians.

Anyone considering Kybella should seek out a board certified dermatologist or board certified plastic surgeon, since these physicians have an intimate knowledge of nerves and structures beneath the skin surface of the face and neck.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

Kybella

Kybella typically shows great results treating submental fat and has been FDA approved. The most common complications seen are swelling, redness and bruising in certain patients. We use it often at my practice and patients are very happy with the results. 

Mesotherapy has been around for a long time

mesotherapy (using chemicals to melt away fat) has actually been around for at least 15 years. Dermatologists have been doing it off label for at least that long, just a company finally decided to get FDA approval for it, form a company around it and brand it. While I am a fan of Ultherapy, I can understand why many medspas do not want that kind of upstart cost and dealing with complaints. Kybella has none of that and like EVERYTHING, there is going to be some modicum of risk, especially when someone with little or poor training applies it. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon