Why should I pay 3-5/graft when I can go to Turkey, Greece, or even India and do FUE at a $1 or less.

They even pick patient up from airport, pay for hotel, city sightseeing etc. Even when adding the cost to travel you get at least 3000 FUE for $3000. Here it costs >$10,000. There are a plethora of patient ascribing their experience and progress pictures taken at 3-4, 6, 9 and 12 month. Why are you not try to be more competitive? I rather do it at comfort of my home in US, but as this is right now, I much rather spending my hard earned money as a medical tourist.

Hair Transplant In Turkey

Great Question. In the last month I have had 4 patients come into my practice that had gone to Turkey and India for their FUE procedures.  2 of the patients had infections, 1 had very large punches used on his scalp which left scarring, and the other had considerable thinning in his donor zone.

When you leave the United States, you risk the quality control placed on physicians by the States Medical Boards, Medical Certification Boards, etc.  Not only that, but when you have a complication it will be difficult to find a physician that will want to get involved.  You also go to a clinic that knows you have none to very little recourse if they do a bad job.  There are lots of people in Los Angeles that travel to Mexico for Dental work.  You can probably get 10 teeth filled for $100.  However you risk some amount of safety and quality control.

If you decide to go to Turkey, make sure you find a physician that is a Member or Fellow of the ISHRS and that the FUE procedure is done by the DOCTOR and not by assistants. Generally, doctors will hire assistants to do the FUE procedure and they have a few cases going on at 1 time.

The purpose of my response is not to say you can't have a good hair transplant when you travel to another country.  You just need to find the right clinic that will do a good job.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Cheap hair transplants

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “You get what you pay for.” With offerings in the dollar store, are you getting real value? Those who purchased cheap toothpaste at bargain storesobviously didn’t know that it was toxic with lead or antifreeze, or those that bought imported pet food filled with chemicals to make plastics had no idea they could potentially be killing their pet… but fortunately the FDA came to our rescue. For those that buy cheap hair transplants, there is no FDA, medical board, or attorney general to tell you if you are getting what you are going to pay for. Even if the doctors had a better than 90% failure of the transplants, what is your recourse? You can ask for your money back, but it’s doubtful you’ll get it. I just read a recent post on a hair forum from one poor fellow that had an almost complete failure of the transplants and was refused any money back.

See web reference below for more information

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Because of Big Foot and Herpes

I realize cost is an issue (as with everything).  You are free to travel and spend your hard earned money on tourism.  That is your prerogative.

Cosmetic surgery is something you will see on your body /face for the rest of your life.  So pick your surgeon well.

Let me explain:

A bad hair transplant surgery is like HERPES.  It's for life.  You'll have to live with it and see it everyday.
A good hair transplant surgery is like Big Foot.  It's really hairy, but nobody will believe it (that you had surgery).  Priceless. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant Abroad

The answer to this question is more complicated than it looks at first sight.

1. The quality of a hair transplant procedure is not standard. In fact, the disparity between the best and worst is one of the greatest in medical treatments. Price is not the main determinant of the quality of a hair transplant, so one has to consider the following facts before deciding on having one.

2. Workmanship is cheaper in developing countries compared to developed countries. This means that it is better to make money in developed countries, but spend money in developing countries.

3. Legal issues and licensing is not as well controlled in developing countries compared to developed countries. This allows for unauthorised technicians to be used for hair transplant procedures, reducing the costs even more significantly. Obviously, these clinics should be avoided as the quality can not be controlled.

4. Developing countries consist of a mixture of the best and worst of many things. It is a good idea to look for the best in these countries, even if it is more expensive than the cheapest ones. 

5. The problem in developed countries is that there is not enough competition. A below the average hair transplant can cost 10.000 USD, because there is no fear of loosing the patient to a competitor. Lack of competition also discourages clinics to try and improve. 

6. Having a bad hair transplant is a disaster that will leave permanent destruction of ones look that may not be repaired. It is very important to make sure about the quality of the surgical team.

7. Hair transplant prices will remain much higher in developed countries until patients learn how to reach cheaper and high quality transplants abroad. Prices will remain higher as long as patients fear going abroad and/or decide to go abroad without doing enough research and come back with a bad result. However, having a hair transplant at a local clinic at a very high cost doesn't guarantee a quality procedure if the patient doesn't do enough research on local options.

8. The take off message is; information and thus research is everything. Patients who do their homework better are candidates for a better quality procedure for a lower cost.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant overseas is it safe?

There are some people that are willing to travel to unregulated countries to have hair transplant or other cosmetic surgical procedures for the cost. Unfortunetly due to unregulatory environment and low cost you are lucky to get good result.
The hair transplant has to be taken from an area from the back of the head called the donor zone . The donor hair in the donor zone is limited and has to be handled with utmost care. There many detailed factors that are involved in hair transplantation both in the harvesting of the grafts and in the incisions in the recipient area. If any one of those details are not done correctly, then the implanted hair will not grow, and your donor hair is wasted and you are left with a scar. The presence of a medical doctor is the key ingredient to assure that all the steps are done properly and prevent complications.
In many cases these clinics are run by non medical staff and there are no doctors present during the procedure. In some cases, the doctor only shows up for the initial design. During the procedure, many of the clinics use only assistants without any medical training to do the whole procedure including, cutting, harvesting, incisions, and placements. These skills require many years of surgical training and experience to be performed properly. If any of the steps is compromised, not only will it effect the outcome of hair transplant procedure, it may cause serious problems for the patient.
If your decision is just based on the cost and you are willing to take the risk then having hair transplant at an unregulated country could be for you. But before choosing a clinic for your transplant procedure, do research and find a quality clinic with experienced doctor who is present during the procedure to be sure that the proper care is taken. Ask questions about the doctor's experience, background and affiliations to any medical organizations. You need to make sure that the doctor and its staff have proper training to do the procedure. If you do proper research you may find a quality clinic in the states that would meet your expectations and have reasonable cost that is close to your budget. Remember If the cost is the only factor, whatever you pay for a bad transplant is way too much.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant in turkey total cost 2000 $

Hi afunian
hair transplant in turkey total cost 2000 $

inculıde
2 days hotel
guding
medication
hair transplant operation 4500 grefts
all transfers

Op Dr Ayşe ÖZTÜRK
Estetik,Plastik ve Rekonstrüktif Cerrahi Uzmanı

Ayse Ozturk, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon