Can patients choose what body parts they want fat grafted from during a breast augmentation?

I want to have a breast augmentation with fat transfer to my cleavage area, sides of my breasts, and underneath breasts to prevent rippling. Can patients choose where they would like the fat taken from? I would like fat taken from 3 different areas. Is picking more than one area to take fat from something patients often do or does it interfere with surgery and is not typically done? How much fat is typically needed for a fat grafting procedure to cover "high ripple rate" areas? Thank you!

Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation

This is a great procedure because your breasts are enhanced with sculpted body fat.  My patients are always involved in the decision process regarding where to obtain the best fat.  I ask my patients which areas they would like sculpted and then evaluate all body parts.  I make suggestions based on the available body fat and the patient's wishes.  Multiple areas of the body are usually addressed to obtain a healthy amount of fat.  I'm typically placing around 300 cc of fat into each breast. Rippling is seen with implants and not an issue regarding fat transfer.  

Thank you for the questions. Yes you can choose the area where you want the fat removed. Your surgeon will discuss that with you during your consultation. Regarding the volume of fat transfer again this will be addressed during the consultation with your plastic surgeon. The fat removed should be done in a way way where it does not breast asymmetric look to the donor site and a volume that would not affect fat survival.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Fat grafting and breasts

Fat grafting can be taken from multiple areas if needed and is not limited to a specific body part. It is safer and easier to take fat from the front side during breast surgery so that the patient does not have to be flipped over while under anesthesia. When using breast implants with fat grafting, it may be better to stage the procedure and have the implants placed before deciding on fat grafting at a later procedure. The implants will slowly settle over the first several months and your skin and existing breast tissue will redrape and change to accomodate the implant. It is too early to judge where you will need fat and how much before your breast has finished adjusting. Once this is stable, you can decide whether you need additional fat grafting to achieve your goals and where to carefully place fat to get the best look. Hope this helps!!
Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Donor areas for fat transfer to breasts

Hello,There is certainly patient participation when deciding where to obtain fat from for the transfer.  That being said the donor choice usually has to do with the desired volume increase and how much fat is present in those particular areas. So, if you wanted to increase a full cup size and you did not have sufficient fat in a desired area than another area in addition would be necessary.  It really depends on your body shape and natural fat stores for how many areas are needed. It can be one or many areas if needed.If you have implants already and are using the fat for camouflage the volume transferred can vary greatly.  The fat can be transferred at the time of your augmentation but I preferentially like to wait until the implants have settled before proceeding to avoid irregularities in the contour. If you are hoping for a purely fat transfer augmentation then much higher volumes can be required and often more than one transfer session.  Best of Luck!Dr. Rednam

Breast augmentation wtih fat grafting

Do you have implants in place already and trying to cover rippling of the implant or are you seeking to have a primary fat grafting with no implant in place; If you don't have an implant, you can typically transfer as much fat as desired to get the size you want; if you implants in place already, then you have to stage your fat transfer as there is only so much volume of fat that your breasts will tolerate; when it comes to harvesting fat, we typically take it from everywhere including: arms, armpits, back, abdomen, flanks, thighs, etc. We usually don't have enough fat so you want to have all of your areas harvested.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Fat grafting simultaneous to breast augmentation

Modern day implants have a fairly low rates of rippling but in very thin patients, with little coverage, rippling is still a problem.   Doing fat grafting to add coverage is a reasonable strategy in this case and can be done at the same time as augmentation or you can take a "wait and see" approach, to see if it is even necessary.   Which areas you choose to take fat from would generally be up to you.  

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Composite breast augmentation

Is becoming more popular. The areas you choose to harvest fat from are determined by you and your surgeon. As for harvesting from multiple areas, your surgeon will likely agree to harvesting from a single area(maybe two depending on amount of fat you have in area and what is needed) and additional areas will be treatment planned as liposuction as additional procedures/surgical cost. graft needed depends on how much breast tissue you have. With adequate breast tissue and a sub muscular augmentation, ripple rate without fat grafting is low, so adding fat is simply an added bonus to conceal the implant/device.

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Fat grafting

Hi, yes of course patients opinions and wishes are a critical component of decision making processes for surgery. Depending on how much fat you have available in specific areas of your body will determine if fat can be grafted from them. As long as you have enough fat in areas that you would like it to be taken from then yes you can choose. In my experience, fat is often taken from more then one area and it does not interfere with the surgery. In my opinion, you cannot quantify the amount of fat required to cover high ripple rate. This is because everybody will have different amounts of fat being absorbed by the body at each fat grafted area and therefore not seeming to add to the grafted area.

Fat grafting

This is something you need to discuss with the surgeon doing the procedure. I doubt you would need 3 areas to get enough fat for what you are looking for. I do take the patient's desires into account when doing fat grafting.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon