How many passes of Deep FX is safe in one treatment?

How many passes of Deep FX at high settings(>75% of maximum) is safe in one treatment? My doctor would only be willing to go one pass but I've read that some doctors will go two passes.

What is the worst that can happen?

Many factors go into results of treatments: your age, skin type, health, area being treated etc. The Physician with the proper training, background and experience who examines you is in the best place to render this answer.  One question you should also ask:  What is the worst that can happen? Then you will know how much you would risk and what other options might be safer.

Laser settings are limited by skin type

Hi, I just added a link that might be helpful...

Hi.  The number of passes does not need to be increased if the density is high-with laser treatments of any sort, the number of passes is increased to make sure more of the skin is treated.  If the energy settings were high enough, and the depth adequate, a single pass can be very effective.  Your skin's propensity for pigmentation, scarring, etc. will limit each of these settings-be sure to discuss your concerns further with your doctor .

Deep FX

I have used Deep FX for the past 6 years and have never used more than one pass of Deep FX in that time span. After six months I have gone back and re-lasered areas that needed improvement. More than one pass of Deep FX during treatment may enhance the chance of scarring.

David S. Felder, MD
Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Deep FX and number of passes

multiple passes of deepFX can scar espeailly if it is set at SCAARFX unless you already have scars or burns.  what we have found in the past few years is that multiple pass superficial fractional laser is often more effective than deep laser.  I have found myself doing much less of deep lasering, this is or prime discussion at all of the conferences I lecture at.  I'd suggest avoiding deepFX mutiple passes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Dr Knight answers question about DeepFx

Thanks for your interesting question.  I'm not sure if you're referring to fluence (energy) or density (amount of skin covered in each pass) when you refer to "75% of maximum."  However, this is pretty much immaterial:  you have to be careful with DeepFx at high settings.

I've done hundreds if not thousands of cases with the DeepFx and I've never done more than one pass - except in very specialized cases that unlikely to pertain to what you're planning.

Note: modern fractional CO2 is a generally safe and impactful procedure - but note that almost all of the complications with fractional CO2 have been at higher settings, and this is especially true for DeepFx. 

J. Matthew Knight, MD
Orlando Dermatologic Surgeon