Otoplasty needed. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am a 25 year old male. I think my ears seem big, maybe because of their position and the angle so am I a good candidate for otoplasty? Thanks a lot for helping me, you docs are the best! Have a great day!

Otoplasty.

Hi. Thank you for your question. You are definitely a good candidate for an otoplasty. Your ears will look smaller as with an otoplasty surgery the ears are going to be pinned to the head. This procedure is perform under local anesthesia and it doesn`t take long. Best,

Dr. Marco Carmona MD

When is otoplasty needed?

• Thank you for sharing your question and picture, as many people wonder about if they can benefit from plastic surgery procedure, including otoplasty
  • In your case, it is tough to tell in a single photo, but you do not appear to have a   significant deformity that would detract from your overall appearance or attractiveness.  There is a mild difference in the ear position, but that quite common
  • For any one whose ears are really large or "stick out" significantly, say 3 c from the scalp, or more than 95% or so of people, than maybe its worth meeting with a talented plastic surgeon to learn about correction
  • The results can be great, but the greater the ear protrusion the more profound the results
  • I hop this answer helps you and some other online readers.

Michael Suzman, MD

Otoplasty Candidate?

Thank you for your inquiry. There are generally two different anatomic problems that cause ears to be at an angle like that. The first is extra excessive ear cartilage pushing the ear forward and out; and the second is usually the lack of a normal ear cartilage fold that normally holds the ear back. Patients may have one or both combinations of problems. Both must be corrected surgically in your case. You are a candidate. A consultation would be necessary to determine exactly what needs to be done. Average price in Montreal varies between $3000-$4000. You are always welcome here, Kindest regards,

Otoplasty needed. Any suggestions?

When protruding ears are pinned closer to the head, the side effect is that they always appear slightly smaller because not so much of their surface area can be seen at a glance from the front anymore. One of your ears is protruding and the other, in my opinion, must not be corrected. Besides the invasive traditional methods, there is also the minimally invasive Merck stitch method, by which the ears are no longer cut open, for correction nowadays. The result can be co-determined in a hand mirror with this method.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty?

An otoplasty does not make the size of the ear smaller. It allows the ear to be closer to the head. From the photos you showed you need no surgery. Your ears look normal. 

Otoplasty candidate

From the one very limited photograph, it appears that one ear is sticking out more than the other. An otoplasty can accomplish pinning back one or both ears. The  Otoplasty procedure does not make the ears smaller, just pins them back closer to the head. For more information many examples, please see the link  below