What are my best options to get rid of my eye bags/hollowness? Do fat transfers last & what about lumps? (Photo)

I am 52 years old & want to do something about my eyes. I have been to a few consultations. My options are Restylane, Belotero, Transjunctional Blepharoplasty or Trans Blep with Fat Transfer. Don't know about fillers, not for the long haul. However, do fat transfers last & what about lumps? Was told I need Twilight, as removing bags can be painful. Also, in choosing a Surgeon, I know board certified is best. However, which board/academy is a must? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Removal of Eyelid bags and correction of hollowness

Removal of Eyelid bags and correction of hollowness  in your particular circumstance would best be done through an external incision since it appears you have excess skin. The fat can be placed in the hollows after removal of the bulge. See a very experienced Eyelid surgeon who is board certified either in facial plastic or a ophthalmic plastic surgery who can show u natural results. 

Treatment of Eye Bags/Hallows

The most permanent solution is a transconjnctival bleph with fat repositioning; fat survival is excellent. Board certification is important but equally important is the experience of that board certified surgeon with the procedure you're considering.

Different approaches

As you already know lower eyelids can be approached differently.

This area is technically complex and there are a variety of factors happening simultaneously.

The protrusion of lower eyelid fat pads in conjunction with volume loss just below the bulging can be tricky.

Making an accurate aesthetic analysis should dictate the plan.

In your case this includes removing some of the protruding fat and restoring some of the volume deficit around this area.

Fillers are by far more forgiving, predictable and easy to work with.

Fat transfer can be challenging when working in thin areas.

I would recommend some form of sedation or even general anesthesia for a trans conjunctival blepharoplasty.

What the procedure is small and can easily be infiltrated with local anesthesia this is a tricky area and the surgeon will be working very close to your eyeball.

I try to avoid using general anesthesia for much of my surgery but lower eyelids is an area I prefer my patients be asleep especially if the approach is trans conjunctival.

I would go with the surgeon you feel most comfortable with.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Laser, fillers, microneedling/PRP will give improvement without surgery. Lower blepharoplasty could be a permanent solution. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

What are my best options to get rid of my eye bags/hollowness?

Lower blepharoplasty (transconjunctival with fat/bags repositioning) is probably your best, long term option. See following link. Fat and fillers are other less attractive options for your problem.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid bags

There are many ways to improve lower eyelid fullness or bags. This is a hereditary condition where hat herniates through orbital tissue and becomes more pronounced. Surgical treatments include a blepharoplasty, where the fat can be removed or re-positioned to smooth your lower lids. Fat transfer to the lower lids can fill hallows and adjacent depressions to mask the herniated fat.

Steven H. Wiener, MD