Best options for my lips? (photos)

I hate my lips. My bottom one is huge and my top one is non existent. They are also very unsymmetrical. I have a long space from my nose to my top lip and I worry that getting rhinoplasty would make that space look even longer. What would be the best option? Lip lift with injections or a permanent implant? Or leave it as is? I'm worried that since there is so little lip to work with, any kind of procedure will make me look like a duck.

Lip augmentation

It has been my experience that with minimal vermilion (red) showing, injections of fillers or implants will not improve the situation greatly. They tend to go posteriorly rather than rotating and expanding the vermilion outward.
The only sure-fire way to increase the amount of vermilion is with V to Y advancements of the internal mucosa to the outside. I usually add fat at the same time.
The lip lift operation is a wonderful operation in the right patient. The right patient is one who has no significant amount of upper teeth showing when they open their mouth, as well as having an overly long amount of "white lip" from the base of the nose to the mouth. And there are certain measurements we use to check on this.
In addition, we can occasionally produce some advancement, augmentation and rotation of vermilion show with this procedure. Since the V to Y advancements lower the red lip, a lip lift is a perfect operation  to compliment the results. Also, neither of these two procedures produce that dreaded "duck" look!
Finally, you are correct in thinking that a rhinoplasty may make your upper lip look longer. Narrowing the tip could exaggerate the apparent length of your lip, and tip elevation will definitely show more of your lip.

Lower lip imbalance with the upper lip

The best option is an in person evaluation with an experienced surgeon with extensive work on faces.  Lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid based fillers can be helpful and has some reversiblity in it.  Often times, limited amounts of filler placed strategically over time can create a more natural appearance than a large amount of filler in one setting.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Enhancing your lips

I would start with a hyaluronic acid-based filler such as Juvederm with an expert injector such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. If this does not provide you the improvement you want, then it would be reasonable to consider surgery and the risks associated with that.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation for a small upper lip in Los Angeles

A small amount of hyaluronic acid facial fillers can add nice proportion to your lips without surgery. This will enhance your overall lip profile. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Best Options for Augmenting Thin Lips

In my opinion, hyaluronic acid fillers offer the most natural looking outcomes for enhancing the volume of the lips. Ultimately, though, the quality of the final results would really depend on injection technique and aesthetic skills of the practitioner.

Hyaluronic acid is actually a naturally occurring sugar found in the body. But dermal fillers used for cosmetic procedures use HA from bacteria to avoid the risk of allergic reactions.

One of the reasons why these fillers look extremely natural is because of their ability to hold large amounts of water as they bind to the collagen & elastin in your skin. This helps create a more seamless integration and overall result.

Examples of hyaluronic acid fillers include Juvederm & Restylane. Juvederm has a slightly different consistency compared to Restylane and tends to easily diffuse into the injection site.

The thinness of your upper lip will not contribute to “duck lips,” but the use of too much product will. A good doctor will be able to determine how much filler to use for achieving a natural looking volume. (175 words)

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, lip lift, and fat augmentation to lips?

Rhinoplasty, lip lift, and fat augmentation to lips? I have done this operation doing all three at one time for 35 years. The lip lift will shorten the distance between the base of the nose and the red part of the lips. To get sufficient size of the red part of the lip the best augmentation that I have found is concentrated fat.