What is the best option for Poland's syndrome of the breast? (photos)

Female mid 30's with missing muscle on right breast. 2 kids. Was told by a surgeon that implants or fat grafting would be my best option. I can't find any before and after pictures of procedures done to fix this issue. My biggest question is will I have even cleavage? What would be the cost?

Poland Syndrome Breast Reconstruction

Thanks for your questions and photos.  From your photo, a combination of breast lift and augmentation can help improve breast symmetry.  Insurance sometimes covers this type of breast reconstruction.  Please seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Hope this helps...best of luck!

Joyce Chen, MD, MPH, FACS

Poland's syndrome - best correction

Thank you for your question about your breasts and Poland's syndrome.

• A breast lift and implants on both sides will help to balance your look.
  • Depending on an examination, a custom made implant or different sized implants may be needed.
  • Custom-made implants are common in men because there is not breast tissue to hide the lack of muscle.
  • Fat grafts are an option if you don't want the other side enlarged. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast Procedure

Hello, thanks for your inquiry and for posting your pictures. It would help you to have a procedure in your lower breast to lift it and in the other one with augmentation will make them look the same and you will feel more comfortable with yourself. It is most probable that you will get very nice outcome. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

What is the best option for Poland's syndrome of the breast?

You present a very challenging case and perfect breast symmetry is probably not going to be achievable.  That being said, approaching the problem with slightly different size implants and a minor reduction plus a lift on the left side will give you the best chance to achieve reasonable symmetry.  I am generally not in favor of using two vastly different sized implants on a patient because you will be trading size asymmetry for shape asymmetry.  This is why I would recommend a minor reduction to improve your native breast tissue symmetry before any implants are placed.   As implant size increases so does the circumference of the implant and this will be very visible to you if two very differently sized implants are used. You do have a natural breast shape on the right side which will greatly improve the chances of achieving good volume symmetry.  A shaped implant with a tall height may also be an option on the right side to give you a greater degree of upper pole fullness where you are lacking pectoralis muscle volume.  Consult with board certified plastic surgeons for an in-person exam to discuss in more detail with you.  Best of luck.

Michael Brucker, MD

Poland Syndrome

To achieve the best outcome possible, it is important to make the right and left breast as similar as possible in composition: skin surface area, breast tissue volume, and implant.  Since you have no pectoralis major on one side, both implants should be placed over the muscle. Both breasts should receive the same size implant, and the larger droopier breast should be reduced as well as lifted. 
Best of lukc!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Poland's syndrome reconstruction of breast

From your photos and description, your surgeon is correct, in that a breast lift on your left side and a implant for your right side will give you a much better aesthetic appearance and you will feel more comfortable.  The lack of muscle on your right side is of no concern.

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your description and photographs, I would likely offer you the use of silicone gel breast implants  along with breast lifting of the lower breast.  A well performed operation should allow you to have nice cleavage.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast asymmetry concerns helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.