What would be the best option to reduce the beginning of turkey neck? (Photo)

I'm 37, turkey neck runs in my family sadly.. I recently got radiesse put into my cheeks. The dr said to wait a month and see how much lifting it will do.. She will do more on my jawline if it doesn't lift the (small) turkey neck.. I wonder if a string lift would be better? I am super self conscious of it, even though you can really see it because I am not super tall.. These pics were taken at a lower angle.. Will more radiesse make me look too "done" or do you think it will work?

Neck Lift vs. Kybella vs. Botox Cosmetic

Thank you for your question about possible Neck Lift. At 37, getting a surgical neck lift could possibly be postponed

Nonsurgical solutions may include:

• Kybella
  • Botox to platysmal bands

To be sure what might be best for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

Kybella

Thank you for your question. You may be a candidate for the FDA-approved injectable Kybella. It is an excellent solution for individuals with the beginning stages of turkey neck. Please consult with your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm 37, turkey neck runs in my family sadly.. I recently got radiesse put into my cheeks to lift the tissues.

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties with early jowl formation. From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), some jowls are present, the chin is weak and there is some fat below the chin along with anterior neck bands. These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. I strongly disagree with the "notion" that a dermal filler placed with tissues will lift adjacent tissues, especially when placed along the outsides of the cheeks. This can result in very large cheeks that widen and broaden the face making it less feminine.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

A full Neck Lift can be added that will allow tightening of the anterior neck bands (requires a general anesthetic and is a 4 1/2 hours surgery with drains and a pressure dressing).

Hope this helps.

Skin tightening is good option for neck shaping

Hi, thank you for sharing photos with your question.  You appear to have excess lax skin that should respond to a skin tightening modality-more Radiesse may not do it.  There are multiple choices of tightening devices, including Profound (radiofrequency tightening of the mid dermis) that is non surgical and a one time treatment.  Ask your PS about their experience with skin tightening devices, or consider a second opinion before choosing your next step.  Good luck!

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

Botox works to tighten the muscle of the neck and jawline; fillers in the lateral neck and skin folds work great to fill out lines and give lift; radiofrequency treatments like sublative/viva, laser treaments fraxel/clear and brilliant/co2 help texture and tone as well as give lift; ultrasound (ultherapy) and radiofrequency (thermage, velashape, venus) can help give tightening and lift as well but often require more than one treatment and are best combined with the other mentioned treatments and by doing the full face rather than just the neck. Vaser and thermiRF are surgical options less invasive though than surgery.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in noninvasive options. Best, Dr. Emer.

Try Botox

Best to try some small doses of Botox to relax the platysmal bands.
It seems the bands are from muscle and not skin.
Botox can help muscular bands.
Fillers can be tricky to "lift" the neck, so start small.

Early turkey neck

Your best option is for a minimally invasive neck lift with resection of the bands caused by your platysma muscle.  You would still have benefit from a combination of Botox, fillers and skin tightening.  You can overdo fillers and will wind up with a over-stuffed round face that looks very odd.  Thermage is a great way for non-invasive skin tightening.  Fat transfers are a great way to get permanent filling.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Treatment for early Turkey Neck

Facial sagging is caused by a combination volume loss and loss of skin elasticity. Your best option is to address both causes.  Volume can be added using either synthetic fillers which have very little down time but must be repeated every 6 to 12 months. Or fat transfer which has more initial swelling but should last of many years to decades. The mid neck would be best treated by ThermiTight which would do an excellent job of tightening the skin. Ask to see examples of the surgeons results before deciding.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift?

Filler will have no effect on your neck and string lifts never have been of any value. It is impossible to be sure without an exam but the photos seem to indicate platysma muscle bands which can be improved with Botox 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Treating Early Turkey Neck

Fillers in the cheek will do nothing for your neck bands. If the bands are primarily caused by relaxed platysma muscle, which is not likely, Botox injections may help but this would need to be repeated every 3 months. Your best option is a neck lift which can done to tighten the underlying muscle and lift the lax skin.