Open vs closed Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Which one would be better?

Open versus closed rhinoplasty

The debate between open versus closed rhinoplasty, is only about the approach on how the surgeon enters the nose. All of the maneuvers performed inside of the nose can be accomplished with closed  or closed approach. Suture techniques applied to the nasal tip cartilages, advanced cartilage grafting techniques to the tip and mid-bridge, osteotomy's and dorsal hump reduction can all be performed with either closed or open approach. Choose your surgeon based on before and after results, NOT which approach  they use

Open or closed rhinoplasty

We get this question all the time.  Your nose can be corrected either way.  Select a surgeon whose work you like and who you trust.  That's the most important decision to make.  Then let the surgeon you have coven perform it the way get or she recommends.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Open vs closed rhinoplasty

One type of rhinoplasty is not clearly better than the other. If it were, then everyone would only do one type of rhinoplasty! The decision of a closed vs open rhinoplasty is made after a thorough physical evaluation and thoughtful discussion between the surgeon and the patient to determine the goals of the surgery and the safest and also most effective technique to achieve the goal in a single surgery. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Open vs closed Rhinoplasty?

Dear hongyuhreum

Find the right surgeon based on experience, results and personality. Then let them explain the best approach for your nose in their hands. Look for an experienced Plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery ( or Facial). See more than one consult and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Technique

It is the perogative of the surgeon. From your perspective, it is irrelevant, and either will lead to a great result by a well trained, highly skilled, and experienced surgeon. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Open or closed rhinoplasty?

what you want to see ia a good looking nose after surgery. Therefore choose a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does good looking noses and not rely on which technique is used. 

Open Rhinoplasty

Every surgeon has his or her preference. Personally, I like an open rhinoplasty as I find it gives me more control over the final result. My best advice would be for you to choose the surgeon that you like best. You want one who is board certified and who specializes in rhinoplasty. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Open vs Closed Rhinoplasty

i apologize for sounding so repetitive but over the years I have advised patients to pick the surgeon, not the technique. Your nose can be done using either approach. 

Rhinoplasty

Either approach would likely give a good result.  It depends on the surgeon.  We do around 50% open and 50% closed.  The closed technique has significantly less post-operative swelling.  Your nose looks like it can be done using a closed technique.  Best wishes. 

David Alessi, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. This can be done with either open or closed technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon