Is there any way to obtain insurance carrier/provider approval for removing lipoma (it is near the hip)?

Last I had lipoma removal was many years ago, now i have one near the hip. generally considered cosmetic, but can this be deemed medically necessary, get approval so insurance pays for the removal?

Insuranc e authorization for lipomas

Insurance authorization for lipoma removal can generally be obtained as long as it is removed to "rule out cancer" or for certain causes- pain, mobility issues etc. As long as insurance does not think it is being removed solely for cosmesis (looks), authorization should be approved. Good luck and take care.

Can medical insurance cover cost of lipoma removal?

Medical insurance sometimes can cover the cost of removing a lipoma.  You could either check with your insurance yourself to see if it would be covered, or you could have your surgeon's office check for you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  A lipoma can be covered by insurance but it will depend on the symptoms it is causing you and the specific insurance plan you have.  I would advocate seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to maximize your outcome.  Best wishes.

Lipoma Removal

In certain situation insurance will cover lipoma removal. This will also depend on the type of insurance. Please see a general surgeon for further evaluation.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon