My nose looks much wider 8 months post rhinoplasty. Why?

I had an open rhinoplasty 8 months ago. I feel that the front view is worse than before - it's wide and short, with unattractive nostrils exposed. It has lost an elegant inward curve that it used to have. Why? The side profile has improved but the trade off is not enough.

Rhinoplasty results different than expectation.

Your appearance looks absolutely normal now. Even from the front your nose looks improved though it is wider.swelling will continue to go down for at least another 5 to 6 months so be patient. 

Not happy with rhinoplasty

I cannot appreciate the undesireable changes you are concerned with by these photos. Please add multiple views including a)front b)sides; 3)angled what us doctors call the oblique views.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Wide nose post-op

It looks as though your surgeon rotated your tip up slightly and shortened the infra-tip region. Additionally, the increased width looks as though he placed "spreader grafts" along the dorsum or bridge. In a nose which has short nasal bones and narrowing in the middle (the elegant inward curve you refer to), there is a tendency for that curve to collapse inward when the nasal bones are fractured inward. So to prevent this, cartilage is placed under the side walls. And you are not alone in feeling this way. Technically speaking, he did the right move. But perhaps didn't convey this to you beforehand, so you would know what to expect.

Stephen J. Pincus, MD

Tip swelling with rhinoplasty

With rhinoplasty , it takes longer to see the changes in the tip compared to the profile.  You should see ongoing improvement in the tip over the next 6 months with ongoing healing.  At about this stage I may inject steroids into the soft tissue surrounding the tip cartilages.  This can help fine tune the final result in the tip.   Ask your surgeon whether this could be considered in your case.

J. Andrew Bartlett, MD, FRCS
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide nose after rhinoplasty

When your profile is reduced the nose on frontal view looks wider. This is the same effect as you get when looking out of an airplane window at a mountain versus a hill. Even though the mountain and hill may have the same area of their base because one is steeper and higher it looks more defined.  Spreader grafts if placed will worsen this effect by physically widening the middle third of your nose. Finally the tip of your nose may be still swollen and can potentially improve and narrow with time. 

Aric K. Park, MD

Spreader grafts?

Your doctor probably used spreader grafts, that can give the impression of a wider nasal bridge.
You should discuss the technique that was used and express your concerns. Spreader grafts are often needed in narrow noses like yours, when the dorsal hump is reduced.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon