Nose tip too high after rhinoplasty and an open roof deformity. Any suggestions?

Thought nose tip was too high but hoped it might drop. 4 months later I feel the tip is still too high and there seems to be an indent/ball where the tip is as well. Will this drop and is the funny ball shape just scaring? Also do I have a open roof deformity at the top. I asked my doctor about the gap I could feel before I knew what it was called and he said I should wait to see if the bone joins back together in a year and he just discharged me. Bit confused why he didn't seem concerned.

Good or bad rhinoplasty

I can only see one photo clearly, but it seems that your nasal tip is deformed and malpositioned; this can happen when cartilage onlay grafts are used; definitely needs to be fixed (but this is based on a single photo); I could not delineate what your dorsum looks like; maybe more photos.

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

Dear pink333, Your surgeon should know upon examination if you have an open roof deformity. If you do, this will need to be corrected by surgery and will not close on its own. At four months post surgery you may see some changes in your tip however the amount of drop will vary on the techniques used. If you feel your surgeon is not addressing your concerns then you may want to seek a secondary opinion. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty revision

As the others said, you are too early for intervention, but it is unlikely at 4 months that your situation is going to improve much from what it looks like now.  Talk to your surgeon, and be prepared for a revision rhinoplasty.  If you or your surgeon is uncomfortable with the plan, find a surgeon experienced in open and revision rhinoplasty.

Tip Too High and Open Roof Deformity after Rhinoplasty

Your tip may drop slightly over the next several months. With these pictures I cannot tell if you have an open roof deformity but if you do this will not resolve over time; a revision would be necessary. This can be determined by examining your nose. Depending on your pre-operative agreement hopefully he will correct such a problem.

Post op

At four months, you still have healing to do. The firm spots may be swelling or induration that will likely decrease. the superior part of the nose does look a bit wide, but I can't tell from the photos if you have an open roof.Many patients need minor revisions after rhinoplasty, but I wouldn't consider that until you have healed for a few more months.  Be patient for a bit more and then return to your surgeon with your questions.Best of luckDr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon