How to make my nose smaller/less wider? (photo)

My nose is too wide for my face.

How to make my nose smaller/less wider?

A few more pictures would be helpful.  However, it appears that your tip could be contoured and made more narrow and better defined.

Rhinoplasty Goals

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose.
While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Using autologous grafts (tissue and cartilage from your own body) will provide the safest and most permanent results.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Nose surgery

Hi Marideguz, 

Thank you for your question, there are number of procedures which you can make your nose appear smaller. Performing an infracture of the nasal bones to bring in the width of the nose, adding height on the bridge to it give optical illusion that the nose is narrower, and reducing the size of the tip and and nostrils. It's important for you to see help from board certified plastic surgeon who have lot of experience. Best wish to you. 

Peter Newen, MD

Rhinoplasty

This is a common request from patients (especially Ethnic patients) and can usually be achieved.  The nose can be narrowed and the size of the nostrils can also be brought in to prevent further flaring out of the nostril with smiling.  The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek. 3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Wide nose

A wide nose may refer to the tip, alar base or broad bony dorsum or combination of the above.  

In your case it appears that the tip could be narrowed , usually achieved with partial section of the cartilages with or without sutures to narrow the tip cartilages further.  With thicker skin, tip grafts may also be helpful in improving tip definition further.

Based on the above picture it appears that narrowing of the alar base would also be helpful.

It is difficult to assess the bony nasal pyramid with this one picture but often with rhinoplasty surgery, the body pyramid/dorsum is also narrowed.

J. Andrew Bartlett, MD, FRCS
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to make my nose smaller/less wide?

There are a number of procedures which can make a nose appear smaller and less wide.  These can include reducing a dorsal hump and performing an infracture of the nasal bones, reducing the size of the cartilages in the tip of the nose, and reducing the width of the nostrils (ala).  All of these procedures can be part of a comprehensive rhinoplasty.  Seek out a surgeon who has extensive rhinoplasty experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate for wide nose

Rhinoplasty can accomplish narrowing and wide nose. To narrow wide nasal bones requires osteotomies placed in them. To narrow the tip require suture techniques or conservative cartilage removal. Narrowing wide nostrils requires an alar-plasty. Thick skin in the tip of the nose will be a significant impediment to seeing refinement in that area. For many examples of narrowing a wide nose, please see the link and the video below

How to make my nose smaller/less wider?

The nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with an artistically performed nasal surgery (rhinoplasty).

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do and how to do it based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not
be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for achieving a narrower nasal appearance.

Your single photo appears to reveal a broad and possibly flat nasal appearance. Consider consulting with several reputable rhinoplasty specialists so you could see if surgery would be right for you.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

There are several options for your nose but at the very least, decreasing the width of the nose with an alar base reduction procedure would help. The tip should also be shaped so it is more narrow. This should be balanced with the bridge of your nose by adding height to the bridge. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD