Are my nose job goals realistic / am I a good candidate? (photos)

My nose is complicated because it's not terrible. When I smile, the tip droops. I feel my nose is too big for my face and left side looks different from the right. My profile isn't bad, But a 3/4s view is. Currently there is a little bit of filler left in the very top of my bridge so I normally have a slightly more prominent dorsal hump, but the biggest issue is the tip. Am I a good candidate for rhinoplasty or is my request too much subtle work?

Not so sure it's worth going ahead, unless you want more changes.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Besides lowering that bump, I elevated and narrowed the tip, brought the tip back closer to your face, and then lowered the bridge to match the new position of the tip.

Making "subtle" changes to the nose can be more challenging than making larger changes. The more someone wants to change the nose, the more likely she is to be happy with the result. ONLY taking that tiny bump down is theoretically possible, but if you like the other changes I drew in the animation, that would make you a better candidate for the operation.

The "ideal" photos that you posted have a VERY short nose, which leads me to think that you might like the other changes. In fact, maybe your ideal goal would be a nose even shorter than in the morph I made.

In your post from a year ago, you were surprised that the cost was still about the same for having only tiny changes: that tends to be true because making tiny changes is often *more* difficult! I know, it sounds crazy. And don't let a plastic surgeon tell you anything would be "easy."

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Ideal nose

Unfortunately, your ideal nose is not attractive. Its too short and lacks tip projection.

You should be able to get a better nose with a skilled rhinoplastic surgeon

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Your ideal nose is very short, and with substantial tip rotation. I would encourage you to modify that a bit, but I get the idea. Your nose would require a small amount of bridge reduction, septal shortening, bone narrowing, and tip modification - rotation, de-projection, and refinement.  It would not be complicated; it just requires careful analysis and an experienced hand to achieve your goals. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Nose Job

Good question.   Your goals are visible.  The dorsum and tip can be adjusted in the direction you want.  The goal should be to make your nose look the best it can be. You are a good candidate as long as the expectations are realistic. If you chose the model picture for the straight dorsum and less projecting tip, I think those are realistic goals.  There are other aspects that are not desirable and will not fit your face.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Good Candidate for rhinoplasty

You would make a good candidate for open to rhinoplasty which will narrow your nasal tip shape, lower your dorsal hump just a little, stabilize your tip so it does not pull down when you smile, and make your nose over all smaller. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Are My Rhinoplasty Goals Realistic?

You are correct when you say that very subtle changes are necessary for you to achieve a natural result. I feel this is much more difficultI than simply reducing a large nose. I agree with your comments about your nose but I question if the nose is too short and slightly pinched in the example you provide. I need to examine you to clarify exacly what can be done.    

Realistic expectations with the rhinoplasty procedure

The model photographs are unrealistic and unnatural. The amount of change a rhinoplasty would make on this nose is very minimal and you need to ask yourself if it's really worth taking the risk for such a minimal result. Many patients would love to have a nose like your own natural one. Digital computer imaging performed in the office setting would be helpful to understand the very minimal changes that can occur with the rhinoplasty procedure on your nose

Great candidate

In my opinion, you are a great rhinoplasty candidate.  The droop when smiling is usually caused by a little muscle under the nose pulling too much.  This is easy to fix, as is taking down a small hump.  You already understand that you want some elements of your "ideal nose" but that it must be in balance with your face.  That exact nose would be too small for you, but we could give you slightly more rotation and refinement of the tip, which is what I imagine you like about the photo. 

Make sure you go to a facial plastic surgeon who listens to you and understands the subtle, natural changes. 

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Facial Harmony

Thanks for your post. I do believe that you are an excellent candidate for refinement rhinoplasty via an open approach. Choose an experienced surgeon who is comfortable with subtle changes and discuss your goals. In my view, the images of your "ideal" nose would be to short and rotated for you. That being said, you could incorporate some of the features that you like about your "ideal" nose, but simply balance your goals with the best assessment for facial harmony in your particular case. Best Wishes.

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon