Can my nose really change this drastically naturally? Or is it likely that it was broken? (Photo)

I noticed a change around 10 or 11.. after my brother accidentally hit me with a broomstick handle pretty hard, my nose bled a little and then was swollen several days later and my family even commented on it. Both of my parents have straight noses. Can my nose really change that drastically from when I was little with a short straight nose to now? Can a doctor be able to tell me if I broke my nose when I was younger? I'm 20 now. I also have a deviated septum, I don't know if that is important.

Shape of nose

Hi there, thanks for the question.  You may have broken your nose as a child, but it is difficult to tell.  If you are unhappy with the size or shape of your nose, you may be a candidate for rhinoplasty.  A rhinoplasty can straighten the nose and remove the hump, a septoplasty can be done at the same time.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with the rhinoplasty procedure.  Good luck!

Sincerely,

Dr. Michelle Spring

Changing nose

Many patients inquire the same thing.  While it is interesting it is really not that important.  Of course if you had a terrible accident then you need to let your surgeon know but otherwise the cause will always be unknown.  If maybe from trauma or just the way your nose has grown.  The good news is that there are lots of things that can be done during a nose job that will improve the overall appearance
Good Luck

Rady Rahban, MD

Broken nose

In your case it is hard to know whether the bump on the bridge developed on its own or was the result of your injury.  The deviated septum may also have developed on its own.  For the purpose of insurance coverage, I doubt they will pay for the removal of the bump but would cover the septoplasty if you are having breathing problems.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Don't like hump

Your hump and deviated septum can easily be corrected with a septorhinoplasty. Impossible to tell if your hump resulted from an accident or not. Good news, both of your issues can be addressed with the above maneuver.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Nasal fracture in past?

it really makes no difference since we are dealing with the nose you have Both the septum and airway can be straightened as well as making the cosmetic changes to give you a more attractive and feminine nose if done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses. 

Nasal Fracture

Dear tayma4444, As surgeons we see many patients daily who have had early childhood traumas to the nose and these can be a cause of deviations later in life but at this time are irrelevant to fixing the nose. During consultation an examination will be performed to determine if you have a deviated septum. If you do then this can be addressed with surgery as well as any other aesthetic changes you would like performed. Seek consultation with some experts in the field and have imaging performed to see the proposed results. Review the surgeons before and after photographs to ensure natural looking results and then you can decide whether you want to move forward with surgery. See examples of septorhinoplasty results in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal fracture changes over time

Your nose may have been fractured, or may not.  The important issue now is whether your breathing needs help and whether the appearance of your nose can be improved.Judging from your post, both could likely occur with a skillfully performed rhinoplasty.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Is it Likely My Nose Was Broken?

X-Rays such as a CT scan may or may not show old fractures but this is not important other than satisfying your own curiosity. A rhinoplasty expert can straighten your  nose and make the desired cosmetic changes whether your problems were inherited or the result of previous trauma.

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal and possible broken nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening the crooked nose and shaving down the dorsal hump. Whether the nose was broken or not 10 years ago is irrelevant, since the nasal bones are well healed since the time it was fractured.   A closed rhinoplasty can accomplish making the required changes to the nose, while a septoplasty is performed to improve airflow through the nose once medical necessity has been documented at the time of the examination. For more information  and many  rhinoplasty before-and-after results, please see the video and the link below