Does my nose look too BIG for my face? (photo)

I have suffered from breathing problems for years. I am wondering if it is due to my nose being too wide, droopy, and crooked/large. I have broken my nose 4 times. What should I do? How does my nose look? Why cant I breathe?

Thete could be several reasons for breathing problems which can only be determined by an intranasal examination.  I agree with you that your nose is large and would benefit from a rhinoplasty to reduce the bridge and tip and narrow the nose.  You should go on a few consults with surgeons in your area known for their rhinoplasty work and try to find before and after photos that are similar to you.

Fractured Nose Four Times

Dear rosiecon12, An in office consultation and an intra-nasal examination would help determine possible causes of breathing difficulties. Most likely due to past trauma you have a deviated septum that would need fixing.  I personally would suggest a combined procedure of septorhinoplasty to address both the function and the aesthetics of your nose. Aesthetically I would refine the dorsal hump and tip which would bring a nice balance to your facial profile as well as feminize your overall facial aesthetics. Schedule some consultations with experts in the field and have imaging performed to show you how these changes will appear. See examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Nose proportions

Your nose does not dominate your face but isolated areas of it may be larger than you like including the slight dorsal hump and roundness of the tip which may help your nose look even better overall - you should sit down with a qualified rhinoplasty expert and work on a computer image to make these adjustments to see if you like them before proceeding

Close rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty considerations #plasticsurgery

You have an attractive face overall - I do think that a rhinoplasty designed to reduce your mild dorsal hump and refine your nasal tip could make some significant improvements to the overall harmony of your facial features.

Nose problems

Thank you for your photos. It seems that you have two general concerns. Your first concern is functional in that you have difficulty breathing. Difficulty breathing is usually due to an internal problem. Your nasal valves, septum, or turbinates may be positioned in a way that is blocking airflow. This requires a careful examination with some testing done in the office to determine the cause of the problem and the best treatment options. The second issue is an aesthetic concern. Personally, it does not seem that your nose is abnormally large from your photos, HOWEVER, the ideal look for your nose should be based on your own opinion as to how YOU would like it to look. By addressing both problems at the same surgery, you can have a nose that you feel is beautiful AND breathe at the same time. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Is My Nose Too Big For My Face

Your nose can be reduced and the tip refined so it is more proportional to your excellent surrounding facial features. Breathing should be improved at the same time by correcting the cause of your nasal obstruction. A rhinoplasty specialist can show you multiple examples of results in other patients who had a nose like yours.

Nasal breathing problems

Great question!  The reason you cannot breathe is most likely due to the fact that you broke your nose 4 times.  When you break you nose, you can alter the orientation of the septum, nasal bones, and nasal cartilage.  This can impinge on the airway and cause difficulty breathing.  Secondly, this can also affect the turbinates which are the structures that give you a stuffy nose when you get a cold.  The turbinates can create about 50% of the airway resistance so having this corrected will allow you allow you to breathe better.  The photos are hard to see and are far away, but it does not appear to be too big for your face.  However, you maybe interested in refining the contours along with removing the little bump on the bridge and straightening in the nose if you desires.  If you have insurance, many times they will cover correcting the septum and turbinate portion of the surgery.

Best of luck and hope this information helps!

- Dr. Roger Tsai

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Does my nose look too BIG for my face?

Your nose does not in my opinion look too large.  It simply could benefit from refinement on your profile and frontal views (bulbous tip and bump on profile).  At the same time, if necessary a septoplasty with turbinate surgery and spreader grafts is likely to benefit your airways and breathing (pending a face to face exam).  

Find a nose specialist who can show you photos of other patients that you like and image your pictures before choosing whether you wish to proceed.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many reasons for breathing problems.  An in-person examination would be very helpful to determine the cause and ways to improve it.  Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD