Is it normal for my surrounding nipple area to be red 6 months later? (Photo)

Is it normal to have reddness around my nipples 6 months post surgery ? And am I keloiding ? Helppp I'm scared dr said it will go away but I'm not sure if he's just said that to calm me down ! I know I scar but I never knew my skin would be red still 6 months later ! They itch everyday so I know they are still healing but the red is driving me crazy . Also are silicone strips good to use? I heard they actually spread the scar out more is that true?HELP !

Is it normal for my surrounding nipple area to be red 6 months later?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Healing scars

There are many products on the market that can help improve the look of scars, including the silicone strips that you mentioned.  Speak with your plastic surgeon about some options to consider.  As scars mature, they will fade and improve in appearance.

Camille Cash, MD

Does silicone gel or silicone strip help scar healing?

Hi Caligirl,
Thanks for your question and photos. Silicone helps scar healing. As plastic surgeons we are not sure how exactly but we believe that pressure and moisture help. I would try the embrace product line as it helps to prevent the scars from spreading! As your Plastics surgeon what their thoughts are. Good luck!
All the best,Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACSBoard Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Scarring

Scar maturation and healing generally is a year process.  At 4-6 months the scars seem to be the most red and they begin to decrease in redness and usually by 12 months time they have lost the redness.I generally recommend silicone products to my patients and ask them to place silicone tape over their incision for up to 1 years time to help minimize the scar as much as possible.Hope that helps.Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Redness

It can take up to 12 months for the redness to subside. It does not look like a keloid. Silicone and Mederma are good options to reduce scarring. Check with your PS.