What is neograft hair restoration and do you offer it to your patients?

What is NeoGraft?

NeoGraft is a technique for harvesting Follicular Unit grafts for hair restoration. Rather than removing the donor tissue as a long strip which is then cut up into smaller grafts, NeoGraft removes follicular units individually, avoiding the long incision line and scar and the need to section the strip into grafts. 

Neograft is a name of a medical equipment that harvests hairs using the FUE technique.

It is like asking a cook, do you cook with a Ginsu knife (if you're old enough to remember the TV commercials) and do you offer it at your restaurant.

The outcome of a surgery is dependent on the skill and artistry of a doctor.  It does not depend on the name of an instrument.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

What is NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. NeoGraft is an FUE (follicular unit extraction) automated medical device that was designed to assist in the harvesting of individual follicular units from the back and sides of the scalp which can then be implanted into the recipient area that needs grafting. This is an alternative to the FUT method where I strip of skin is removed from the back of the scalp to harvest grafts from. The benefit of the FUE method for harvesting is that it avoids the long surgical scar across the back of the scalp. As always, the most critical part to your outcome is the skill and experience of the person performing the procedure. We have been performing the NeoGraft procedure for 7 years with very good results. I hope this was helpful - Dr. Moore.

Richard E. Moore, MD
Saint Louis Physician

Neograft hair restoration is an automated FUE hair transplant technique

There are many different ways of performing the automated follicular unit hair transplant, and using the Neograft machine is just one of them.  We offer these techniques in our office and they are essentially a "scarless" hair transplant.  It's a great way to restore you hair naturally!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Neograft and SmartGraft hair restoration

Neograft and Smartgraft hair restoration are both follicular unit extration (FUE) technique for hair transplant. Using these techniques, we can extract individual hair graft thereby avoiding the long scar which is usually visible. We prefer Smartgraft because it is more advanced when compared to Neograft. SmartGraft is a smarter option for both men and women searching for a permanent solution to hair loss. SmartGraft uses a combination of precision craftsmanship and state-of-the-art technology rather than a scalpel.The procedure can be done with more precision in less time than any other FUE method. Patients can go back to work in one or two days, and the results look and feel completely natural. 

Stanley Okoro, MD

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. NeoGraft is a hair transplant system using Follicular Unit Extraction, a follicle harvesting process, that dramatically improves the accuracy and speed of the procedure over manual extraction approaches. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to learn more about the process.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft Hair Transplant Procedure

The Neograft procedure is an advanced, FDA-approved, minimally invasive hair transplantation technique. During the procedure, a technique known as Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is utilized to harvest your own hair from the back of your head with the help of the Neograft machine. The follicular units, which contain 1-4 hairs each, are then transplanted to the areas on the head where hair has been lost. The use of the neograft machine in conjunction with highly trained experts in hair transplantation, allows for the transplantation of healthy grafts that are uniform in size and have a survival rate of between 95 to 98%. The Neograft procedure is done under local anesthesia in my office and will leave you with a natural, long lasting result, but WITHOUT a long linear scar at the donor site. 

Chad A. Glazer, MD
Chesterton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft is a device

Neograft is a device used to perform Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) as part of a hair transplant procedure. There are other devices that also perform FUE. There are also other methods to harvest hair from the donor site such as the traditional strip harvest. Neograft is a tool that helps the surgeon harvest hair for transplant without leaving a linear scar on the back of the scalp.

We do offer Neograft to our patients, but as always, the most important factor is the surgeon's skill, planning, and artistry. I encourage every patient to seek a hair transplant surgeon specifically trained in hair transplant and has the skills and knowledge to discuss the surgical AND non-surgical management of hair loss in order to individualize and maximize your results.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great Question

I love answering this question because I am so excited to be able to offer this technology to my patients.  Neograft is the brand name of a specific type of technology used to harvest and place hair grafts.  To my knowledge, it has been F.D.A. approved for approximately six years; however, the technology has been around since the 1990's.  The hand piece has a rotary tool that cores out individual hair follicles (not plugs) which are then stored in the machine until ready for sorting and placement.  The beauty of this technology is that it does not require a section of your scalp to be removed to obtain individual follicles. That means no sutures, no staples, and no permanent scar.  Moreover, it also means no incisional wound healing complications or incision site infections. 

Joseph L. Hill Jr., MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon

What is NeoGraft?

NeoGraft is a brand name for a type of hair restoration technique that involves removing individual hair follicles from the back of your head (follicular unit extraction) and then transplanting them to areas of thinning or baldness in the front or top of your head. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with NeoGraft hair restoration to see if it is right for you. Good luck!

-Dr. Angelos

Tyler Angelos, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon