One month post op after breast augmentation and donut mastopexy and this thing just showed up...should I be worried? (photo)

I noticed last night that the skin around my nipple(where my incision was) was red and very thin feeling. Then tonight I noticed a purple sac of fluid where the redness previously was.

Post op mastopexy

Many sutures are left under the skin after your surgery and most are expected to dissolve on their own.  That being said, some sutures can "spit," or push up though the skin.  This may very well be what you are seeing now.  Best of luck.

Stitch abscess 1 month out

Thanks for your question.  Unfortunately, you have developed a stitch abscess.  This is not an uncommon problem.  It happens when your body tries to push the buried stitch out before it has a chance to dissolve.  I recommend seeing your plastic surgeon.  For a patient like you in my practice I would drain the area and remove the stitch.  It will heal fine!  Congratulations on your surgery and best of luck to you. 

Jeffrey G. Lind II, MD
The Woodlands General Surgeon

Purple Thing After Mastopexy

Thank you for your question, and the photograph.

What you are noticing is likely a small stitch abscess from an undissolved suture.  I recommend contacting your surgeon for an in-person evaluation, and possible drainage of the abscess with removal of the stitch.  Best of luck!

Stitch abscess can appear belatedly after augmentation and mastopexy.

You appear to have a stitch abscess which is generally a sterile necessitating buried suture. Report this to your surgeon.

Visit your PS

Thank you for the question and photo.  It looks like you may have a stitch abscess.  Best to have your plastic surgeon take a look at your concern.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Suture

This looks like a reaction to a buried suture that has not yet dissolved. 

Treatment is to see your surgeon, who will probably removed the affected stitch.

All the best. 

Problem with peri-areolar incision after mastopexy

It's impossible to say with 100% certainty, but your photo is pretty good, and it looks like you have developed a suture granuloma.  This is a foreign body reaction to a deep or "buried" suture.  These are commonly used by Plastic Surgeons, and occasionally there can be a problem.  I suggest you let your PS know about the problem so he can treat it.  Typically all that is done is the suture is removed and the patient has to do a little local wound care for a few days.  Not a big deal, but something you should definitely address.

Incision

Thank you for the question and you may be spitting a stitch so see your surgeon and be evaluated and treated

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

One month post op after breast augmentation and donut mastopexy and this thing just showed up...should I be worried?

Probably a stitch abscess. Please see your surgeon for removal of deep suture. If taken care of promptly should not create a problem.

Like stitch abscess

It looks like a stitch abscess. Contact your surgeon for them to remove the remaining portion of absorbable suture and cleanse area. Best of luck.