How do I know if 5% minoxidil or genetics is causing my hair shedding?

1. I had a hair transplant 9 months ago. 2. I have been taking finastride for 1 yr. 2. At 9 months, 3-4 weeks after starting 5% minoxidil, my hair was looks thinner in some areas and in transplanted area, but may be my natural hairs

Minoxidil vs genetics

The idea behind minoxidil is to maintain the hair you have.  Some hairs however are genetically programmed to be shed and can not be saved.  Minoxidil or genetics—one way to tell is if you stop the minoxidil, wait 3 months and see if the hair shedding continues.  I am not sure I would take that chance to prove that point to myself.  Rather, see a doctor to switch to finasteride.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil

The best guarantee that the minoxidil you are using is real is to purchase the name brand Rogaine which is real

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

The most common cause of hair loss in men is genetic male pattern balding. The hair loss is evident in a particular "pattern".

The most common cause of hair loss in men is genetic male pattern balding.  The hair loss is evident in a particular "pattern".  If you are unclear, you can see a doctor for an examination.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair was looks thinner

If you continue to use 5% minoxidil and finasteride for one year it means that thinning is noT caused by medication but because your native hair under affect of AGA. Keep going to use them to get better result after HT.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon