Do I need a Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photos)

I am 5'11, 180lb, and 24 years old. I want a flat stomach so I can then begin building muscle, and have a body building physique. Would I be able to achieve this with a mini?

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I have done many body contouring procedures and specialize in Vaser Hi Definition liposculpture.

From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture.  With the skin contracture component of the Vaser, you may not need a Tummy Tuck.  Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Mini or full tumyy tuck?

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and pictures as well. Everything is going to depend on the politic of the PS that you visited.

First of all, you want to be completely clear on what the differences are between these procedures. With a full abdominoplasty, there will be a scar that extends across the lower abdomen, typically extending from hip to hip. There is also a scar around the belly button. With the mini abdominoplasty, the lower abdominal scar is shorter, and there is no scar at the belly button. Liposuction is often used with either of the procedures. Less scarring always sounds like a good idea, but lesser procedures produce lesser results, and you may not get the outcome that you are looking for. The mini tuck does not tighten the upper abdomen at all. 

The most appropriate choice will depend on what your desires are and how loose your skin is, which is best determined by a full consultation with examination. If you have a significant muscle separation and bulging of the upper abdomen and you want to correct this, then a modified full Tummy Tuck might be an option. The scar will be longer and higher, and you will have a scar around your bully button that may not make it look much better than what you have now. I would offer this to you only after a few consultations where we would discuss the limitations in great detail. I usually don't offer a mini tummy tuck to a patient who requires a full Tummy Tuck because I know they will be dissatisfied with the limited correction.

I recommend to seek for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation and to talk about your goals and also to talk about the quote. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Would a flatter tummy with a scarred belly button

make you happier than what you see in the mirror now?  If so, some kind of tuck will be beneficial for you and you simply need to see a local surgeon who can give you the proper advice after listening to your expectations and having the opportunity to examine the areas of concern.  Once you put a scar out there, you really cannot take it away.

Curtis Wong, MD

Do I need and Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

From your one photo, alone, it is difficult to say whether a mini or full tummy tuck would be in your best interest.  The laxity of your upper abdominal skin could be assessed with a physical exam and then a determination could be made as to which procedure would suit you best.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive tummy tuck experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Mini or TT

Thank you for the question and photos and you appear to have slot going besides increased skin and fat in your lower abdomen but also possible gynecomastia and truly need a full examination to see what techniques with minimal scarring will give you the best result.So go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area and be evaluated

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Full vs mini TT

Thank you for your question. Based on this one image it's impossible for me to answer your question. I would need to see a side profile picture to see if you have any abdominal wall laxity secondary to loose muscles. If your abdominal muscles are tight and flat, you would not need a full TT. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Based on your submitted photo you appear to be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck procedure to produce excellent overall results.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be further evaluated, discuss your surgical options, address your goals and work together to create a surgical plan that will best help you achieve them.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Male needing either mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck?

It would not be doing you justice to state an opinion based on your photograph without a face-to-face examination.  You may be a candidate for either mini or full tummy tuck but your goals and physical exam will determine which is best for you.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon in a face-to-face consultation for your best advice.  During that examination the degree of redundant elastic skin present can be determined to test whether you're a candidate for a full tummy tuck which in all probability would give you a more dramatic improvement.  Regards and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. It appears from your picture that you have loose skin over your abdomen. A mini scar tummy tuck, which I helped to pioneer, suctions fat from your tummy and tightens the abdominal muscles but does not tighten skin. A moderate scar tummy tuck suctions out fat from your tummy, tightens the muscles and removes a little skin. A full tummy tuck, I invented the Malibu tummy tuck, removes fat, tightens the muscle and removes a lot of skin. You would need to be examined to determine which one you would benefit from the most. For more information please watch the enclosed video and I hope you find this useful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It is important when looking for a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck that you find one who is board certified to obtain the best results possible. Based on the photos you have posted, you look like a candidate for a traditional tummy tuck to correct the loose skin and tighten the abdominal wall. When I perform a tummy tuck, I tighten the diastasis rectus muscle which brings in the waist. I think you would be happy with the results from a traditional tummy tuck with the incision placed discreetly in the pubic area. If you are worried about the scar associated with a full tummy tuck, there are topical scar creams as well as laser treatments that can diminish the look of the scar and make it finer and less noticeable. I hope this helps!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon