Is it possible to have Microneedling treatment on the neck and near the eyes?

Is it dangerous to have this treatment on the neck and near the eyes?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, microneedling can be performed near the eyes and eyelids at a lower depth (0.5cm) and can also be performed at the neck.  Good luck!

Microneedling under the eye and in the neck

Microneedling is done under the lower eye in expert hands.

Microneedling is also done in the neck.

Best
Dr. Karamanoukian

Micro-needling is safe around the eyes and neck if depth is adjusted accordingly, but the device is not always best treatment

Thank you for your question. You’re asking if it’s possible to have micro-needling done on the neck and near the eyes, and I think I can certainly help you with this as micro-needling is something that we do in our practice regularly.

A bit about my background — I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I’ve been a part of the Vampire Facelift® network of doctors for many years now, and have been called upon by the media to comment on the Vampire Facial® when certain celebrities underwent this procedure.

Now, micro-needling can be done at different levels — it can be superficial, it can be limited to the epidermis, and it can also go down into the dermis. For the skin under the eyes, we routinely use modalities that include platelet-rich plasma (PRP), the use of fractional CO2 laser, and the use of radio frequency devices like Pelleve. For neck skin, we use PRP, topicals in the retinol family, and laser light treatments to improve skin texture and quality, and to address scars in the neck as well.

The real question should be what are you trying to achieve? If you want to achieve some skin tightening, there is certainly value to this treatment, but creating the puncture holes in the skin has to be done in such a way wherein the skin heals advantageously. One should be wary of the inappropriate and overzealous use of these modalities, which is what I’ve observed as of late, so as not to cause further loss of volume or tissue. Micro-needling is not a generic procedure, especially when combined with the Vampire Facial® or PRP. There is an art to this procedure, and you want to penetrate the skin up to a certain level, then apply the PRP in such a way that it gets absorbed and stimulates collagen and blood supply well.

I think PRP is a good and safe treatment because the PRP comes from your own body. PRP is a derivation from your own blood, which is then spun down, and from which a concentration of the healing and growth factors are used and applied to help improve specific areas that you want to improve. It’s a remarkable material that we use for things like dark under eye circles, acne scars, scars, complexion improvement, and even for hair loss.

Ultimately, the procedure is safe depending on the depth, depending on the method, and depending on the indication. When people come to me with an interest in micro-needling, I try to first get them to focus on what they want to improve, and they are often surprised to learn of a better alternative to whatever procedure they think they need. I think, however, that you are on the right path for perhaps wanting to improve fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, and scars.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

MIcroneedling of skin of eyes and neck - is it safe

Thank you for your question about your microneedling.

Yes, microneedling can be safely done at the right settings on the neck, around the eyes and in fact, almost anywhere on the body.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Microneedling, Fillers, Lasers, Botox/Dysport -- CAN BE DONE ALL SAME DAY

I do microneedling everyday on the eyes and neck. I suggest you see a cosmetic dermatologist with experience.  Best, Dr. Emer.