Is micro liposuction and fat transfer something that should be done ONLY by PLASTIC surgeons?

I see many cosmetic surgeons, dermatologist and others that perform microliposuction, laser liposuction, fat transfer (face, small areas), etc. I always thought that only plastic surgeons could perform this kind of treatment. The results of this non plastic surgeons sometimes seem very good, but is it smart and/or safe to go to someone that isn't a plastic surgeon?

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

My entire practice is facial sculpting with fat, microliposcution and hi definition contouring. Dermatologists developed tumescent anesthesia and the liposuction procedure.  Anyone trained in this procedure with significant positive reviews and good results should be who you go to.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Being a plastic surgeon I am partial to plastic surgeons performing fat transfers of any type.Thank you for your question.

Fred Suess, MD

Microliposuction and fat transfers - on by plastic surgeons?

Thank you for asking about your microliposuction and fat transfers.
  • Great question - by law, any doctor can do anything treatment she wants to do.
  • Non-surgeons from family doctors to heart surgeons are doing cosmetic surgery because it is truly hard to make a living in medical care thanks to Obamacare and insurance payment cutbacks.
  • However, these doctors do not understand cosmetic procedures and may have no surgical training.
  • Doing these procedures correctly takes a lot of knowledge and expertise.
  • I personally would not let anyone inject fat into my face unless s/he were a Board Certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Good morning! Thank you for your question and concern regarding the proper training required to treat and correct issues you mentioned. You should always use a board certified plastic surgeon for any cosmetic procedure. They are the physicians who are most trained and certified to diagnose and treat the root of the problem. There are many people who do not use plastic surgeons for these kinds of procedures. But it's taking a big risk with your health and finances. Always seek the opinion of board certified plastic surgeons! Good luck as you proceed!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Microliposuction and fat injection for liposuction irregularities

Most likely you are attempting to reduce irregularities from prior liposuction.
It is helpful to have a surgeon who can also offer you another alternative to choose from:  lifts.  Particularly in the flank, the abdomen and the middle thighs, lifts plus lipo/fat injection may be the best solution to liposuction irregularities.
Remember that there is a balance between the skin and the volume inside the skin.  When too much volume is removed, the skin becomes wavy and irregular.  Microliposuction and fat injection alone usually help, but are seldom definitive.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Dermatologic Surgeons are the cream of the crop when it comes to liposculpting.

Liposuction is done by all docs but when quality matters, most patients will see their dermatologic surgeon since dermatologic surgeons invented the tumescent technique and usually are the best of the best. Sincerely, Dr Hansen

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and fat transfer

Liposuction was first introduced in the United States in my office at the Plastic Surgery Center of Beverly Hills 35 years ago by Dr Martin a head and neck surgeon and we have been doing liposuction ever since and training many doctors nationally and internationally.  Liposuction and fat transfer is a procedure that is technique dependent and requires aesthetic knowledge and expertise.  I have seen many horror stories by plastic surgeons one being Tara Reid.  Liposuction was developed by a gynecologist in France named Fournier and then due to many deaths and morbidity from doing it by plastic surgeons without tumescent technique and with general anesthesia; Dr Jeff Klein's technique who is a dermatologist in California is now gold standrad for 2 decades in liposuction.  So look for someone who has experience who cares for you and your well being.  Cosmetic surgeon or plastic surgeons specialize in different procedures.  So not all of them are good at doing liposuction as they may be good at doing noses.   So do your homework.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD