Male Bilateral PeriAreolar Mastopexy 3-Week Post-Op: I have been using Steri Strips and changing them every other day (Photo)

Male Bilateral Peri-Areolar Mastopexy 3-Week Post-Op Dear Doctors. 1. Permanent suture sticking out of the incision on the RIGHT areola (white color). Should I pull/cut it? 2. Healing issue on that suture and also the top part. Also lower part of the LEFT areola. P.S. It's difficult to go to back to my surgeon as I have to take a flight to another city. Therefore, I haven't had, and probably won't be able to have, any post-op visit with my surgeon. "Please help!" Thank you all in advance,

What to Expect After Gynecomastia Surgery

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.
The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.
Additionally, your doctor may place tape or foam over the incisions, which can be removed on day 3 or 4, before your first post-op appointment.
If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Suture and swelling postop

After surgery your body forms a considerable amount of immature scar tissue followed by mature scar tissue that peak at 6 weeks.  You can expect the swelling and firmness of the scar to actually increase over the next few weeks!  This can be decreased with daily or twice daily scar massage and will naturally decrease over 6-12 months.  In regards to the visible suture, I would not recommend cutting it as you may see some spreading of the areola if this is a permanent purse string suture.  If you can't visit your surgeon in person consider calling him/her to discuss your concerns.  They may be able to instruct you over the phone or have you visit a trusted colleague in your local area.  Best of luck. 

Jacob Bloom, MD

Periareolar Mastopexy

The stitch that is exposed is probably a permanent suture that goes around the areola circle.
Only a surgeon can remove it.
If it is the Pin-Wheel suture we use then after removal may have spread of the areola size.