How long till I can workout after my Breast Augmentation?

I got my BA on 7/25/14. Almost 2weeks ago . When can I start working out again? I know I can't do weight lifting for a while, but how about hiking or cardio?

Be careful, too much activity could compromise your result!

After any surgery it takes about 6 months to be completely healed sometimes even a year.  According to the science of wound healing your incision should have enough strength after about 2 to 6 weeks to not burst open with activity.  The inside of your breast however takes longer to heal. Some activities such as light walking with a supportive bra may be ok by 2 to 3 weeks.  It is best to be examined by your plastic surgeon as you are healing and be instructed as to what activities are safe for you.  Everyone heals at a different rate but in general the breast swelling, tenderness and scar redness can be used to guide your activity level.

Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Working out after Breast Augmentation

First of all thank you for your question.  I would first recommend following your plastic surgeons instruction on post op care and exercise.  I instruct my patients to have no strenuous or repetitive upper arm activity and no lifting more than 10# for the first two weeks.  After two weeks they may increase back slowly to their regular routine and light exercise.  As far as more vigorous exercise, I would recommend starting that at 6-8 weeks and again increase back up to previous levels slowly. Best of Luck.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

How soon can you work out after breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.   It is essential that you follow the specific advice of the plastic surgeon who performed your breast augmentation.

Generally speaking asked patients to avoid significant physical activity for the first 2-3 weeks after breast augmentation.  Weight lifting and pushups shouldn't wait at least 6 weeks.

Exercise After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry on breast augmentation.
Every surgeon does things differently. You should follow your surgeons post op instructions.  It is best to ask your surgeon because he/she knows exactly what was done for you.
  • I advise my patients that they can do light exercise two weeks after surgery, like taking a brisk walk.
  • I advise that they wait 6 weeks before doing any rigorous exercise.
  • You want to avoid getting very sweaty.
Best Wishes.

Every surgeon has his own protocol so I would check with your own MD and follow his recommendations

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

At least 2 weeks for lower, 6 for upper

Thank you for your question. You should follow your doctors recommendations. I generally tell patients 2 weeks for jogging, etc. and 6 weeks for upper body exercises with a good support bra. 

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon