How long does redness from nostril narrowing take to fade? (Photo)

I had rhinoplasty 17 days ago and my nose still has visible redness where my nostrils were narrowed. How long will it take before this redness fades? Will it always be noticeable? I really hate the way it looks and I'm male so I can't really use makeup to cover it up.

Healing after rhinoplasty

The redness of the scars will fade with time but it is variable from patient to patient. Occasionally this can be expedited with low dose steroid injection to the scars.  You should see this settle down over the next 4-6 weeks.  Be patient and it will get better. 

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar redness

Redness can take many months to fade, everyone is a bit different. It would probably be a good idea to start on a scar cream sooner rather than later to help reduce the scars. I Usually get my patients to start antibiotic cream straight away for a few weeks then scar cream for 3 months.

Shahram Shahidi, BSc, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redness is a sign of healing

Redness shows through the skin of a white person as long as there is increased blood flow. Increased blood flow means it is still healing. Most of the red color should be gone at about three months in that location. Borrow a girlfriend's cover make up until it is gone. It could stay pink, particularly when you exercise or raise your blood pressure, for a year.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Nostril Scars

The amount of redness that you are experiencing right now is normal and will likely fade away over the next several weeks to months. Redness of this type is due to increased blood flow and is not indicative of scarring.

You can try applying a topical silicone gel (scar cream).  I have found that early early treatment with a vascular laser such as VBeam can be very rewarding.

Best of luck

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red nostril

Incision around the nose heal like any other incision on the face. These wounds take anywhere from four to six months to permanently fade.Trauma and sun exposure can make them stay visible longer. You are early in the healing process. Hang in their.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon