What should I do about my long labia and protruding vagina? (photo)

I'm 20 and have never had sex before but my labia minora are often really itchy and they have small dark, bumps on the inner side (noticed the bumps 2-3 years ago). They're also longer than average, especially towards the upper parts of the lips and because of this, they become irritated when I wear jeans or menstrual pads. I also feel my vaginal entrance is protruding? Are my labia and vagina normal/healthy and should I consider a labiaplasty?

Extended wedge labiaplasty

Your labia are healthy, but enlarged, and they're therefore becoming irritated in your clothing. This is from puberty and hormones. That's just bad luck unfortunately.You're someone who would benefit from an extended wedge labiaplasty. NOT A TRIM. Please. Please. Be very selective. Do your homework. This is not like a breast aug where a bunch of doctors can give you a pretty similar result. This is a sub-specialist procedure that requires an expert. Shop around. Travel if you need to. Skype consults. See a bunch of before and afters. Read reviews... Study.

What should I do about my long labia and protruding vagina?

Your labia minora and clitoral hood are very enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Long labia and protruding vagina

Your labia and vagina are normal but the prominence of the labia and vagina are bothersome to you.  Since it appears that the vaginal opening (introitus) is prominent in addition to the labia, you may want to see a gynecologist for an evaluation.   The labia minora and majora act to protect the vaginal opening  and in this circumstance, I would be concerned that an excessive reduction of the labia minora could leave the vaginal opening exposed and at risk for irritation or injury.  Best wishes!

Long labia

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are very enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is long and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

What should you do?

Labiaplasty can certainly help take down the excessive tissues but if you're wanting your 'protrusion' evaluated as well, you should see your gynecologist to start to see if anything may be abnormal with the canal.  If you just want the excesses taken down, schedule consultations and see for yourself what surgeons can do for you and whomever you choose should be skilled at both the wedge and trim techniques and provide you reasons why one may work better for you.  Each has its pros and cons...

Curtis Wong, MD

Should you get labiaplasty?

First, let me reassure you that your labia appearance is normal. However there is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. The decision to pursue any aesthetic procedure is a personal one and should be determined based on how your current appearance impacts your quality of life.  Though there is a wide range of normal, some women may have or develop enlarged labia that can prevent their ability to wear certain types of clothing, perform certain exercises or can make sexual intercourse painful. In these instances a labiaplasty can allow for a reduction in the size of the tissues to improve these symptoms.  See a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation to discuss your goals and determine the best course of action for you.

Labiaplasty

thank you for your question.  If you feel uncomfortable having large protruberant vaginal lips labiaplasty may be an option for you.  Labiaplasty  is a procedure that reduces the size of your vaginal lips. Hooding of the clitoris can also be reduced at the same time. My patients tell me that pain is negligible after surgery. They are more confident wearing bikinis, shorts and tight pants. In regards to  your itchy labia minora and small bumpsI would recommend you see your GYN.  I hope you find this useful .

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Long labia are common and sometimes bothersome. Whether you want to undergo labiaplasty is completely your call.

Labiaplasty to reduce enlarged bothersome labia is a personal decision. Your opinion is the only one that matters. They are completely normal and enlargement is not a medical condition.

Labiaplasty

You are definitely a candidate for a labiaplasty. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. There are many type of labiaplasty procedures. I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia, it looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively they experience less pain in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below.  Details are on my website on the link below. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN