How long before canals, puffiness, and fluid retention goes away after 3 months from Liposculpting? Results are going backwards.

I had liposculpting 3 months ago. 4.5 liters removed from the front/back trunk area & inner thighs. 1-2 months after lipo I had a nice defined waist and flatter stomach/thighs. Three months in and I no longer have a defined waist and other areas don't look as good. I have lost 15 pounds since so I'm not sure why I'm going backwards with my results. I have canals and I think fluid still that I can feel. I've had a deep tissue massage about 1-1/2 months in to my recovery.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Liposuction Results After 3 Months

Think of the initial liposuction results, momentarily, as an injury.  After the swelling goes down, which in most cases is less than two weeks, the patients will have a more contoured and sculpted look, and after three months, you should be seeing the final and last result of the liposuction procedure. It's difficult to say exactly what is happening with your body without an in-person evaluation.  Any questions on your specific recovery time and results should immediately be directed to your physician. 

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need to be evaluated in person

It's not possible to say what's going on in your case without an in-person evaluation.

Generally, results at three months are close to what you're going to get long-term. While there are minor changes between three and six months, what you describe is not normal.

What you describe as "fluid canals" is also not normal.

Start off by following up with your surgeon.

You may need to get a second opinion if you feel you're not getting good answers or explanations.

I suggest you see a board-certified plastic surgeon who can offer all treatment alternatives.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Thank you for your question. We usually see a 6 month time period as a good time evaluation window, and then your results can be evaluated. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Should be seeing results by now

By the three month point, you should be seeing results.  If you are losing weight, dieting and exercising, you should be seeing improvements.  If you are not, something needs to change.  First go back to the surgeon to make sure nothing is wrong.

Liposuction and Irregularity and Fluid

I suggest for all my patients to get velashape treatment, massage or ultrasound after liposuction procedures.  It helps the healing process progress and the swelling to resolve quicker.  I suggest an in person consultation to see if you are a candidate. Best, Dr. Emer.