How long, on average, does it take to heal after a mommy makeover?

Every Patient is different

Hi, thanks so much for your kind inquiry. Normally, in average, a patient feels much better after the first two weeks, and gets back to work (desk work or subtle physical activity) within this time frame. Nonetheless, in order to get back to feel fully recovered is after the 4th week. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time after mommy makeover?

Hi Armonee,

Thanks for your question.  The term "Mommy Makeover" encompasses multiple procedures for breast and body rejuvenation after having children.  

The most common procedure combinations that I perform for my patients include either breast augmentation or lift with augmentation along with a tummy tuck and contour liposuction (usually of the belly, love handle areas, and possibly thighs, arms, or bra roll).  During their consultation, I discuss with my patients that typically they will feel reasonably well 2 weeks after their procedure and be able to be back to light cardio exercise (non-impact: stationary bike, elliptical w/o arm motion, stairmaster) within 3-4 weeks, back to moderate cardio and light weights by 5-6 weeks, and back to the full scope of your pre-op exercise regimen within 8-10 weeks. 85-90+% of swelling will be resolved within 3 months after your procedure.

To further explore your treatment options, you should schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has experience with Mommy Makeover procedures and who has before and after photos of results that you like.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Restricted Activity for the first 2 weeks up to 6 weeks

Most patients who undergo "mommy makeover" have some combination of tummy tuck, breast lift or augmentation, along with liposuction or other chosen procedures.  Many of these procedures work directly on the muscles of your "core" which are integral for more intense exercise activities.  A minimum of 2 weeks of restricted activity, meaning no strenuous exercise, is usually necessary.  Very frequently, you should be careful for at least 4 to 6 weeks, depending on the nature of the procedures performed.  Having stated that, you SHOULD NOT BE BED RIDDEN either!  It is very dangerous to think limited activity means bed rest.  I urge all my patients to be up and walking around by DAY ONE after surgery.  This is imperative when someone is undergoing elective surgery as a healthy person.  Most people have some level of discomfort and soreness for the first week to 2 weeks, so you have to walk the fine line (so to speak) between necessary activity and over doing it (which would cause fatigue and perhaps delay your healing, or just make you feel plain exhausted).  On average, you should back to some of your most strenuous routines by 6 weeks.  At least that is when you can start working back to full fitness.  Best of luck with your procedure and well wishes during your recovery.

IT varies

Good afternoon!

Because mommy makeover surgery is a catch all phrase that encompasses a wide variety of procedures, recovery can be quite variable.  A good rule of thumb is that the more liposuction you will require in your procedure, the longer the recovery.

as a guide, I tell my patients getting breast surgery with an abdominoplasty and liposuctrion that they need two weeks off of work from a desk type job- longer if they have a job that requries a lot of activity.  I allow light exercise at three weeks after surgery, and unrestricted activity at six weeks.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

"Mommy Makeover" is not a specific surgery, it is a term loosely applied to some type of breast surgery and some type of abdominal surgery done at the same time, so recovery wil vary depending on what surgery you are contemplating and what recovery means to you, ie up and walking, of off pain pills, or back to work, or back to exercise, etc.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Recovery after mommy makeover

There are many variations to a "mommy makeover" but if you undergo the typical breast lift, tummy tuck, and liposuction, the average patient would be looking at around 1-2 weeks to return to normal activities.  Patients should be able to return to a desk job around 2 weeks.  At about 4-6 weeks you should be back to full activities, as before surgery.

Best of luck and hope this information helps!

- Dr. Roger Tsai 

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Mommy makeover healing

Healing rate depends in multiple factors including your medical history, procedures performed, and your post-operative care regimen. It may take several weeks (4-6) before you will be able to resume full activity. Some people choose to return to work within two weeks of surgery depending on their job type, but their exertion and physical activity should be limited to minimize any risks to healing. The best person to ask is your plastic surgeon who can explain to you the details of your particular surgery and what your limitations will be and for how long. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Mommy Makeover

My practice specializes is Mommy Makeovers because there is 2 board certified plastic surgeons that see, evaluate and perform the procedure.  We believe that this leads to better results with shorter anesthesia and operative times which leads to a smoother and faster recovery.  Generally speaking we restrict all of our surgical patients from exercise for 6 weeks but you are immediately out of bed and walking and generally driving and doing daily activities by 1 week.  It is best to see you in person in order to give the proper recommendations that you need.  Best of Luck

Hi and thanks for your question. It really depends upon what procedures are performed but also how you heal and recover from surgery. In 30 plus years of aesthetic plastic surgery, my best advice is to see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for the question and it takes 6 weeks for wounds to get back to normal strength follwoing surgery but most patients are off pain medications the first week and back at work by 2 weeks(assuming no heavy lifting and straining).

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD