How long after a BA should I wait before getting new piercings/tattoos?

My main concern is that recovering from cosmetic surgery + a new piercing/tattoo might overwhelm my body's ability to heal. [I don't intend to get the piercing/tattoo on my actual breast.]

Breast augmentation - how soon are piercings and tattoos ok?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and piercings.

• I would want a patient to wait 6 weeks to avoid any risk of infection.
  • I would probably want my patient to take a dose of antibiotics before the piercings/tattoo for the same reason.
  • Your best guide is your own surgeon - who may agree with my approach or not.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Piercing or Tattooing after Breast Augmentation

It is not uncommon to have piercings or tattoos after breast augmentation.  This maybe on the breasts or elsewhere on the body.

Would communicate this with your surgeon so she/he could guide you for timing and precautions based on your recovery.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and afters, and have a quality consultation.

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

How long after a BA should I wait before getting new piercings/tattoos? = as your plastic surgeon #breastaugmentation #tattoos

Patients with questions and concerns about when to get a piercing and or a tattoo during their their breast augmentation healing process should address those concerns with the plastic surgeon that performed the operation.

John Mesa, MD

Unsterile Procedures

Certainly, procedures that put you at high risk for blood borne bacteria like teeth cleaning, Pap smears, or colo-rectal procedures should be avoided in the first three months and prophylactic antibiotics should be administered prior to having them, perhaps for the rest of your life to protect your implants. 

Tattoos and piercings can be performed, but only under very sterile conditions.  You won't 'overwhelm' your body's ability to heal.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Piercing after BA

You can get your breasts pierced safely after 3 months; this is to allow all of your selling to resolve.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

When can I pierce or tattoo after breast augmentation?

While there is no science to answer this question, 6 weeks seems like a reasonable amount of time to me.  Your plastic surgeon may feel differently.  I suggest asking he or she for their opinion. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS