My lips went down a lot. How much to achieve the desired look? (Photos)

I got my lips done about 4 weeks ago, it hasnt been the first time. The first few days my lips were just how I wanted them to look. Now, I am not happy with the result, it went down a lot for just a month and the doctor told me it wouldnt change drastically but in my opinion it did. He didnt put in one whole syringe of juvederm. how much do I need to make my lips look like they do in the first picture and stay that way?

How Many Syringes for Lips

Hi Katherinna.  The number of syringes is going to vary by product and patient.  There is significant swelling with lips and we normally recommend to patients that they will have 2-3 visits over 6-8 months to get the desired appearance.  This is because we do not use more than 1 CC at a visit because of the swelling or potential bruising that can occur ,making the recovery more difficult.  

Lip fillers

The lips swell quite a bit from injections, so the initial look is exaggerated.  You can return to your injector for additional filler until you achieve the look you desire.   You will swell with each injection and it is recommended to wait two weeks between injections.

Camille Cash, MD

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat --- Go Slow, Use Cannulas -- Reverse with Hyaluronidase If Unhappy

More fillers can be used to get more of an outcome, you always swell most the first time.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lips deflated after injections

You can achieve more fullness with more injections. The picture of the enlarged lips does show that the upper lip is larger than the lower which is not normal anatomy and should not be done. The upper lip to lower lip ration should be 1:1.6. Seek another opinion if you want larger lips and aren't happy with your current injector.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Achieving Desired Lip Fullness

What probably happened is most of the swelling which made your lips look full went down leaving you with your current result. You can always add more filler. If you want a lot of volume it's not unusual to need 1-2 syringes of filler. The other option is to use a bulkier filler which can add more volume. Please find an experienced injector and communicate your goals with them clearly. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon