Will liposuction give me an hourglass figure and flat stomach or do I need a full tummy tuck? (Photo)

I've had a gut since I was 2. I was overweight and have lost 45 lbs and maintained it for the last three years. I'm 15 lbs away from my goal weight and want to have either a tummy tuck or liposuction on my abdominal area. Which will give me an hourglass figure and flat stomach?

#Liposuction Vs. #TummyTuck for a flat stomach

Good work on the weight loss. You should be proud. 
Yours is an age old question. Who should have a tummy tuck and who should have lipo. The truth is that neither of these operations is as difficult as knowing how to choose who gets what.
Both sort of exist on a spectrum.  Liposuction has less downtime and minimal incisions but is very dependent upon the surgeon being exceptional and the quality of your skin to contract over the now smaller you.  Tummy tuck has more downtime and a longer incision but has the ability to dramatically improve shape, especially in someone with good shape.   There is nothing more valuable than an in person consultation and I would encourage you to find a doctor you like and trust in an office where you feel comfortable.  It is apparent through your pictures that you have a good shape beneath the extra skin and the goal in your case would be a homerun. I included a reference to someone who started similar to you and had a tummy tuck.
Dr. Pyle

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Looking at your pictures: You have a skin overhang with moderate diastasis. In my opinion liposuction will not be help you accomplish your goal. I think a Full tummy tuck with liposuction to your hips and flanks will serve you best. You are a good candidate for this procedure already.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS

It's difficult to answer your question without actually examining you. From your history, though, of having lost 45 pounds and wanting to lose another 15 pounds, along with a pouch overhang I would probably think that you would need a TT.

George Lefkovits, MD

Will liposuction give me an hourglass figure and flat stomach or do I need a full tummy tuck?

Just from the pictures and the skin overhang, I would tend to believe tummy tuck would give you a much flatter result by addressing the skin as well.

Flat stomachs and tummy tucks

Your best bet will be to have a tummy tuck and some liposuction at the same time.

Liposuction alone won't help the deep layer so many patients who have lipo alone are disappointed.

Since you have some apparent losing of the fascia (separation of the muscles), full tightening of the fascia will be necessary, not just a mini tummy tuck.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Brent Moelleken, MD

Getting a flatter stomach with a tummy tuck vs lipo

It appears as though you'll get the best results from a tummy tuck.  Having done many tummy tucks on women with your figure, I keep the scars low in the bikini line so that they're hard to see.  I don't believe lipo will do much for you.

Will Liposuction Give Me an Hourglass Figure, or Do I Need a Tummy Tuck? Lost 45 lbs.

You are an excellent candidate for an hourglass figure, but only with a tummy tuck. There is excess skin that will not shrink up, but will become looser if you just have liposuction. The upper abdomen does not look all that loose, raising the possibility of a lower abdominal or mini-tummy tuck procedure. The amount of skin laxity and skin elasticity would have to evaluated in person. However, given the power of a tummy tuck to smooth out, flatten and redistribute the abdominal skin, you have an excellent chance of having an hourglass figure.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck versus lipo

In a comparison between the two procedures, the tummy tuck will give you a much more dramatic and worthwhile improvement.  There are downsides to choosing a tummy tuck, however. The length and cost of the surgery, the length of recovery and the scar are factors which you should also consider.  Also have you had children or planning to I. The near future.  If so, you should wait until,after having children to gave a tummy tuck.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck

Hi.  Congratulations on your weight loss success!!

Based on your photos, I'd recommend a tummy tuck and lipo together.  The tummy tuck will take care of the loose skin, and improve the muscle contour/bulge seen on the lateral photo.  Liposuction of the waist / flank area will help give you more of an hourglass shape, and a smaller waist.  Women also like liposuction of the bra-fat area, too.

Tummy Tuck To Achieve Best Results

Judging from your photos, you may need a tummy tuck as there appears to be excess loose skin, particularly noticeable in the area below your belly button. This can only be removed with a tummy tuck. To give you a better hourglass figure, you may also want to consider getting liposuction.