Lip/Chin numbness after chin implant, how long until smile becomes normal again?

I got submental liposuction with a chin implant nearly two weeks ago. Although a significant amount of swelling has gone down, it's still visible. I'm VERY worried about my bottom lip, however. You can't see my bottom teeth at all when I talk, smile or laugh. I believe this has to do with the numbness (bottom lip and chin are numb) and nerve damage. I'm worried that the feeling in my bottom lip and chin won't return. Is this normal 2 weeks in? How long, on average, does this feeling last??

Lip and Chin Numbness after Chin Implant

It can easily take four to six weeks after surgery for most of the feeling and lip and chin movement to return to normal. Complete recovery of feeling and movement changes could take as long as three months in some patients.

Swelling after Chin Implant

Generally speaking, it can take 6 to 12 months to completely heal after surgery. Please keep in touch with your surgeon or his/her clinical team to discuss your ongoing concerns.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness

Some numbness and certainly are to be expected with a chin implant and submental lipo but should resolve with time

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD