What is the limitation for shortening my over projected nose? (photos)

I'm also looking into chin implants, but I am just asking how much projection could possibly be taken off my nose. In the first picture is my natural face and the second with the white line is what I'm hoping could be accomplished.

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear 11181998, You are an excellent candidate to have a rhinoplasty and in the hands of an expert surgeon you should have an excellent result. To see the proposed changes I would suggest seeking a consultation with some experts in the field and have imaging performed. Once this is performed the surgeon can discuss the techniques which will be used to provide you a natural looking result that will address your concerns. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty

Your nose is more over rotated (tip up) than it is over projecting (tip too far out from face). De-rotating tip alone will correct the apparent over projection, but you may elect to de-project too. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Improving Over Projected Nose

You are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty surgery to improve your profile, decrease projection, and lift your hanging columella (the strip between your nostrils). Consult with a rhinoplasty specialist whose results you like which can be seen on their website.

Rhinoplasty & Chin Implant

Based on your photo, you don't look to have an over projected nose. You could certainly consider a rhinoplasty to address your dorsal hump, but I would probably suggest that you start with the chin implants. This will change the balance of your face and you may find that afterwards, your nose no longer bothers you.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

What is the limitation for shortening my over projected nose?

From the limited photo presented, the nose is not that over projecting, however  there is a hanging columella and a dorsal hump which can be reduced with a closed rhinoplasty approach. In addition, the tip can be  rotated downwards  a few millimeters. Consider a chin implant for the weak and recessive chin profile which makes the nose look more projecting than it really is. Placement of a chin implant can help with facial balance and proportions, especially from the side profile. Chin implants are manufactured in a very large array of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin. The implants can be performed same time as the rhinoplasty under general anesthesia, or under local anesthesia as a standalone procedure. For more information, diagrams of the implants, and many before-and-after examples of this combination, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty to shorten a nose

Dear 11181998,

• There are no real limitations that would prevent you from having the nose you are looking for
  • When you are ready, please see a rhinoplasty specialist who can morph a nose for you to give you an idea of what is possible
  • A chin implant will give your face more balance and enhance your rhinoplasty results

Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Chin implant or rhinoplasty ?

Based on your single profile view photo - I think a rhinoplasty with refinement of your dorsal 'hump' plus a chin implant would be my recommendation. I do not think you have excessive nasal projection, based on your facial proportions. 

Deprojecting the nose etc.

Your nose can be deprojected and a chin implant placed. You should see a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses to  discuss various options. There is no limitation in your nose.

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you. Based on your photos you appear to be an excellent anatomical candidate to get a good cosmetic result to improve your nasal projection.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the photos and you are an excellent candidate for the desired procedures and should get a wonderful result.  At a consultation with an expert in the field you will be able to see what is possible via digital photography and how it might be accomplished.  So go on some consults and become informed

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD