Do I need a lift or just BA? (Photos)

I want to get my breasts augmented to size D. Do I need a lift as well ? Thank you for your help in advance.

Breast lift vs augmentation

Great question! From your photos, it appears as if you would be an excellent candidate for an augmentation without a lift. However, the best advice I can give you would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. After an in-person examination, they can offer you the best options and recommendations so that you achieve the results you are looking for. Good luck!

Breast lift vs augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Only Breast Augmentation needed

You have a great starting point for a breast augmentation alone. 

A simple way to see if a lift is necessary is often related to if a pencil can be held by your breast at the lower breast crease.  This is referred to as a "positive pencil test". 

Sergio Maggi, MD, FACS

Austin Plastic Surgery Center

drmaggi.com

Only Breast Augmentation needed

Sergio Maggi, MD, FACS

Austin Plastic Surgery Center

drmaggi.com

BA +/- lift

Your breast sits low on your chest.  Adding the weight of an implant will make them sit lower on your chest.  Many patients think a lift will move the location of the breast to a higher level on the chest. This is not the case.  I would recommend a BA without a lift.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

BA +/- lift

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

The frontal view may be a bit deceiving based on the angle of photography. In the frontal view it almost looks like the nipples are somewhat downward pointing and that you may have mild glandular ptosis, where the breast volume is more distributed in the lower pole than the upper. For many patients like that, a lift can be appropriate, but they can also get great results with augmentation alone, depending on how "perky" the goal is.

In your case, the side view (lateral) photo shows the breast tissue is almost all above the fold. In such cases, breast augmentation alone is most appropriate, as I don't think the extra lift incisions (even a periareolar lift, which has some risk of scar or areola widening) are justified. You may have a little "lilt" or bounce to the breast after augmentation but I would anticipate a very nice, natural looking result without a lift. Selling a lift to you would seem like overselling based on the photos, but in person examination is the gold standard for proper counseling. 

Breast augmentation

Breast augmentation

I agree that you appear to be a good candidate for an augmentation without a lift. Please consult "in person" with a board certified plastic surgeon to best address all your concerns.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

It should be unanimous

that you do not need a lift at all.  If anyone recommends a lift, I would be suspicious of their motivations and suggest you avoid that surgeon at all costs.  Understand you may not be perfect perky but you will be plenty 'good enough' with your nipples still pointing forward (and not downward).

It should be unanimous

Breast lift or just augmentation

Thanks for you question and photos.  You are a very good candidate for an augmentation and it does not appear that you need a lift at all.

My best advice after having several consultations with ABPS board certified plastic surgeons would be to find a surgeon that you like and that you are on the same page with as far as their plan and your expectations.  Make sure that you see multiple before and after photos of breast augmentation results that you like so that you have a very good idea of what you want so that you can develop that treatment plan with your surgeon.

Best wishes!

Dr Brown

Breast lift or just augmentation

Best wishes!

Dr Brown

Factors on a lift

Thank you for reaching out and posting pictures! There are a few important factors that go into whether or not a patient needs a lift. Here are a few things that determine if I am going to suggest a lift. 1) Is the measurement from your sternal notch (that little depression above your breast bone) to the nipple longer than 20cm? (8 inches). 2) Does your nipple point downwards? 3) Is your nipple below the crease under your breast? Besides the measurements, the end result you are looking for plays a huge factor! It is not always easily determined by photos, but  best determined with an in person consultation. Be sure to visit a few experienced Board Certified Surgeons! I hope this information helps! Best of Luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Factors on a lift

Do I need a lift or just Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos your nipple is above the fold under your breast so you should not need a lift. A dual plane breast augmentation with implants under the muscle should give you a nice result without a lift.

Breast augmentation will suffice

Hello and thank you for your question.  Your anatomy will allow you to get your desired "D" sized augmentation with implants alone. Please seek the expertise of a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in advanced aesthetic breast techniques. I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Breast augmentation will suffice

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi