Why is my left breast still bigger than my right after maxopexy? (photos)

I'm currently 7 weeks out from my mastopexy. My left breast was bigger before and it's still bigger even after breast lift. My ps said he would be able to make them more symmetrical, I do think he did a wonderful job shaping them into what they are now. However, I was hoping to have more symmetrical breast. I know no one has breast that are the exact same size, but I was just wanting or I guess hoping they would be closer in size. Is this normal??? Or could this still be swelling.

Perfect symmetry is nearly impossible to achieve

but while still in the healing phase (which you are), swelling can be more prominent on one side and contributes to obvious asymmetries post-op, as would bleeding (obvious to trained surgeons and with more pain) and starting with asymmetry and nothing was done to correct that (ie: remove some tissue from the larger side).  Your starting point was not vastly different and I would think your current state is most likely due to swelling.  If it really bothers you months down the road, you can ask your surgeon about options to further improve symmetry.

Why is my left breast still bigger than my right after maxopexy?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks to months as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Usually, final results will be seen 4-6 months postop.  Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately.  It is not uncommon for one breast to settle more quickly than the other due to swelling, dissection, or muscle tightness.  If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down or implant exchange/revision. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Symmetrical breasts after breast lift

no nNo one has perfectly symmetrical breasts or any other part of their body! A breast lift is just that : it lifts the breast but the sizes remain the same. Even with an attempt to make them symmetrical they are never perfect. At seven weeks you nay still have some swelling. Enjoy your new look!

Leon Goldstein, MD
Madison Plastic Surgeon

Understanding the Healing Post-Op Process

Here is some of the information provided to our patients regarding the post-operative healing process after breast augmentation:HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps. ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff. SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result. FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. These are included in your initial surgical fee.As it has only been seven weeks you still have some time to heal, but if you find yourself concerned or uncomfortable in any way then it would be best to see your surgeon in person for evaluation of your healing process. Best of luck to you!

Results after Augmentation-Lift

Thank you for your question regarding augmentation/lift.   You have a good improvement from your before pictures, and congrats!     I do see a small volume difference from the photos you have submitted, but it may be that this was the best combination of implant sizes in your case.  I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon to explore what was done in surgery and what size differences, if any, you have with your implants.   This discussion should help you know if there are any options for the future if the small differences you have now become more noticeable.   Best wishes!   Dr. Bresnick

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Breast asymmetry after aug mastopexy

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern. I agree that there are subtle differences between your breast however, perfect symetry is almost imposible specially when you start with significant changes from one side to the other one.Overall you had a great result.Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.
Wishing you the best in your journey