Are laser settings used during surgery usually recorded?

I had laser resurfacing by Dr Davin Lim which has left second degree burns. It was a 4k procedure done under full sedation. A couple of months after the procedure the doctor told me the settings were very low energy so I must have had a healing complication. I asked the clinic for my surgical report with settings but the clinic says no such records exist. Is it unusual that a doctor would not record the settings used during surgery? My new dermatologist says I had a very aggressive procedure.

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. Your surgeon should be able to provide you with complete records of your procedure. In addition, the laser's settings are recordable, which informs both the patient and the operator as to how the results of the procedure are linked to the strength of the procedure. I suggest that you discuss in-person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it appropriate to record laser settings for resurfacing procedures

Thank you for sharing your question. It is a good idea to note all settings when laser skin resurfacing is performed for a variety of reasons. Have an experienced specialist perform all your treatments.
Good luck,

Post-Laser Problems

Dear Nearlynatural,

I am sorry you are having post-laser problems. It is absolutely the standard of care to record all of the laser settings used in practice. Laser settings vary from patient to patient and not to record them makes little sense.

David S. Felder, MD
Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser settings

It is the standard of care to record laser settings. From a clinical perspective, I use this information to direct future care. Refer to HIPPA for information about accessing your medical records. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon and/or dermatologist for advice regarding your recovery.

Laser settings

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am sure you're having problems following your laser resurfacing procedure. In our practice we record all of our settings. Seek out a qualified board certified plastic surgeon and/or dermatologist in your area for continued options regarding your scars and recovery.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Burns from laser resurfacing

I always record my laser settings.  This is important for several reasons.  If the patient returns for a second treatment, I need to know where we left off with the previous treatment.  If there is a problem, I need to know what was done.  I wish you a speedy recovery.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Burn After Co2 Laser

I suggest seeing an expert for an evaluation of what can be done with your scars.  In my practice we record everything.  If you are concerned speak to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.