Laser hair removal for African American woman with seborrhic dermatitis. (photo)

I want to get laser hair removal for my chin and under arms. I am African American with dark skin what laser would work best for me? I also have seborrhic dermatitis will laser treatment make it worse?

Safest laser for hair removal in darker skin types is Nd:YAG

Thank you for your question Blkbtrfly90. Laser hair removal is a common treatment for areas such as the chin, sideburns, and underarms. There are different lasers used for hair removal. The safest for dark skin is Nd:YAG. With this laser more treatments are required for full results, but there is a decreased risk for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I tell my patients that laser hair removal should not affect seborrheic dermatitis. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Laser Hair Removal -- Seek an Expert

In my practice I use diode lasers for the best outcome. I typically have patients do every 4 weeks for the first 3 times and then every 4-6 weeks for 3 times after. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer