Large implant with breast lift. Any suggestions?

I am aware that I do need breast lift (vertical scar mastopexy). I am also looking to get breast augmentation as well. Currently I am a 32 C cup. I am hoping to go for 32DDD. I want my breasts to be noticeable, so I'm thinking of a high profile. I did the rice test, I would need about 650CC or so in order to reach my ideal look. I am 5'1 and weigh 110 pounds. My question, is it possible to have breast lift with large breast implant (650CC-700CC)? Will there be any downside to this? Thank you,

Large Implant with Breast Lift?

So the first big issue for you will be doing this in one or two stages. Even under the best of circumstances (smaller lift and modest implant), doing the operation in a single stage can be associated with a high degree of complications or poor outcomes that require a revision. You evidently need a lift and want to have quite a large implant, so trying to do all of that in a single stage operation will have a very high risk of failure. You would be best off by having the lift first to reposition your nipple and breast tissue and then return at least three months later to have the augmentation. By doing this in stages you will have a greater choice of implant options.
Given all that said above, you still are a petit individual and a 650-700cc implant is very large implant on someone like you. It is one thing to have a noticeable change but you don't want to look ridiculous.

You could certainly proceed if you have planned, however, you should anticipate with aiming for 32DDD at 5'1" and 110lbs. you will have the Dolly Parton look and also anticipate drooping with time.

Fred Suess, MD

Downsides of large implants in petite patients

650 cc's as a sizer equates to an implant 700+ cc's in size.  That is huge on your frame.  Besides turning heads s you walk down the street (or is that what you want?) and looking top heavy, your tissue will eventually sag and your implant drop and you will then need a re-augmentation with smaller implants and a revision mastopexy.  So make sure its what you want and are accepting of the costs and problems down the road before going for it.  Doing the procedure together is not a problem... its your anticipated outcome that is the concern here.

Curtis Wong, MD

Large implants and lift

Thank you for your question.  Some photographs would be helpful to better understand your situation.  In general, it would be very difficult to place implants that large with a simultaneous lift.  Options include placing a smaller implant at the time of the lift or staging the procedures with a lift first and then place the larger implant at a later time.  From your description, you have a petite frame and placing a very large implant combined with the lift is highly likely to result in complications that could result in the loss of the implant.  Best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to have all of your questions answered. Best regards,MHS

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I would recommend that you stage the procedure.  Do the lift first and the augmentation at a later date. Doing the lift first, allows your surgeon to center the breast on the chest wall which allows you to size better and place the implant in a better position. Please review with your surgeon.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.
Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Seeking lift with 650 cc implants.

Thanks for your question.  Without seeing you this can only be a general answer however the risk of future dissatisfaction with that combination is relatively high.  Such large implants stretch and thin your skin and breast tissue and in my opinion should probably be avoided.  Please watch the video link above.  Good luck and best wishes.
Jon A Perlman MD FACS Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 Beverly Hills, Ca  

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Augmentation Mastopexy

Hello,In general, this operation carries the highest risk of complications. Surgeons who are expert do it frequently with far less problems then those who only do it occasionally. However, the reason expert surgeons do it well consistently is because they make the right choices for their patients.  You would need to be examined to see if your goal is really possible. Visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Many of us will tell you it is high risk surgery for soft tissue necrosis to place a large implant at the time of a lift. Also, that size implant in such a petite frame is asking for serious problems in the future with soft tissue thinning and skin stretching. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Large implants and breast lift - a dangerous combination

Large implants stretch the skin.
Lifts shrink the skin.
While this often does not pose a problem, often enough it causes problems in the blood supply of the breast, particularly of the nipple area.
I have seen several cases of nipples that died during such a combination of procedures, particularly if the implant was at some point above the muscle.
Be careful what you wish for.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Thank you for the question. You are correct in that there will be limits as to how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely during the procedure.  Remember, that during breast lifting surgery, some skin is removed, thereby limiting the "space" available for breast implants. In my practice, patients who are looking for a "larger" breast augmentation outcome will often require more than one stage breast surgery to achieve the desired outcome. 
On the one hand, breast augmentation surgery is expanding the breast skin “envelope” while breast lifting is (by definition) tightening up the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Therefore, it becomes important to remove the appropriate amount of breast skin and to use the appropriate size/profile of breast implants to balance these 2 forces appropriately and to allow for achievement of the patient's goals while minimizing risks of complications. 
On the other hand, given that you currently have breast implants in place, the surrounding capsule can be utilized (capsulorraphy) as an "internal bra"  for additional support. Ultimately, you will do well select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicating your goals, questions, and concerns. In other words, careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.
Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.  2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "DDD cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.