Can labiaplasty - wedge or otherwise - damage or remove the clitoral crura?

Can labiaplasty - wedge or otherwise - damage or remove the clitoral crura? Are they located in the skin that is removed? My sensation is not the same - and the only thing that changed is I had a labiaplasty soooo, is there a possibility that these got removed? One side is worse than the other in terms of 'nothingness' feeling. I never had these problems before so just want to try and understand what has happened

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your sensation difficulties after labiaplasty surgery.  In neither a trim or wedge resection technique is the clitoral crura or deeper tissues involved to affect sensation to the point of numbness or "nothingness."  I would definitely speak with your surgeon who may be able to better delineate the cause to offer treatment options.  Best wishes.  

The clitoral crura are deep structures

The crura lie deep beneath the bases of the labia minora and are not usually exposed during labiaplasty or clitoral hood contouring. It would be highly unusual for them to be involved in your procedure.

Sensation after labiaplasty

During labiaplasty with clitoral hood reduction, the excess skin/labia is removed around the clitoris. The clitoris itself should not be effected by the procedure.

Potential for anatomic damage during labiaplasty

Hello Clarerose,

You have communicated with us before. While it is virtually impossible to interrupt the frenular nerve and vascular supply with a V-Wedge, it is entirely possible to do so with an ill-performed linear/trim technique, especially if your surgery was performed by a "general gynecologist not experienced and SPECIALIZING in female genital plastic/cosmetic surgery. As the clitoral crurae (1 crus; 2 crurae...) are located deep in the anterior vaginal wall near the area of the G-spot, it is totally IMPOSSIBLE that crural damage would occur with a LP, which is in an entirely different anatomic area! If you truly wish to correct your situation, you will not do so merely by querying us! Your path towards correction or healing BEGINS with your making in-person appointments with a couple of acknowledged EXPERTS and getting their opinions. This may involve some travelling and a bit of $$ in consult fees, but it will be worth it. That is the ONLY WAY you will truly understand just what has transpired! Perusing the weblink below may get you started...

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Lack of sensation

Sorry to hear about your concerns.  A number of pieces of information are missing to help with the answer such  as to how far you area after surgery, were there any complications or other problems afterwards.  First, I would return to your surgeon for a discussion about the surgery and what was done.  All surgeries have risks.  In general, whenever an area is disturbed by surgery or accidental trauma, the function of supporting structures such as nerves may be either damaged or temporarily dysfunctional (not working).  Their return to full function can take as little as a couple of weeks, to several months, to up to a year depending on the where and what was done.  Again, I would discuss this with your surgeon.