Labiaplasty tear, will it heal on it's own or do I need a revision? (photos)

Is this likely to heal on its own / close up? Or am I looking at a revision? :-( the right side feels 'looser' than the left so I can feel that it has torn and am 6 weeks out. My clitoris is also lower than before - but I don't know why? Is this maybe because I did not have clitoral hood reduction? Thank you.

Wedge labiaplasty with notched edges

will not smooth out on their own and if it really bothers you, a small office revision can improve that but you should wait a little longer before asking about it.  You should definitely keep your surgeon informed of your concerns so he/she can be prepared to intervene down the road.

Labiaplasty Tear - 6 Weeks Post-Op

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and the way in which your body heals.

Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

While you should be getting toward the end of the initial healing period, there is a chance that your swelling is still persistent and the incisions are still healing. However, that does not mean that you don't have a right to visit your surgeon with questions or concerns. You have a right to plenty of follow-up appointments to make sure that healing is going well, so your surgeon can examine this area and make sure whether anything needs fixed.

Separation of labiaplasty

It appears that your wedge labiaplasty has had some separation. Allow 4-6 months for healing and then, if you desire, you can have a revision.  Most modest separations heal well enough that no surgery is needed but only time will tell. Below is a healed wedge labiaplasty case. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Partial separation of V-Wedge labiaplasty. What can be done?

Hello Clarerose,  You have experienced modest separations of the edges of your V-Wedge labiaplasty on both sides. This will nor effect your sexual relations, but if it is a "bother" to you aesthetically, the appearance may be revised by a careful artistic re-beveling of the separated edges. This type of revision can be planned at 3 months post-op if it is a bother, but many experienced revision "artists" may choose to wait until 5-6 months to do the revision. I would suggest that you carefully do your research and choose a couple of surgeons in your area or a airplane flight away and consult with them if you remain dissatisfied at 3 months. Your edges will not come together; what you see now is very likely "...what you will get." Research your choice of revision surgeon carefully: onkly choose someone who SPECIALIZES in this work!

Michael  Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty tear

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You have a separation on the right and a lesser separation with a deformity on the left. This may be due to the  specifics of the wedge technique used by your surgeon.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. The repair will probably entail re-doing the labiaplasty which can fail again if yo don't have a real expert doing it. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty tear, will it heal on it's own or do I need a revision?

Thank you for sharing. Based on your photos is does appear that you may have had an incisional separation on the right side causing the difference in appearance.  At this point in time you are still healing, however if the tissue there is fully healed, the area of separation is there until surgically revised. With that said, 6 weeks post op is still very early in the healing phase.  Swelling may still be present and with time the area may not be as pronounced.I would recommend letting your surgeon know of your concerns and continuing your routine follow up. If in a few months, the area is still bothersome to you, you could discuss revision options at that time.

Will I need a revision of my labiaplasty?

I can see a small area of separation that is troubling you.  Since its only been six weeks I would not panic so much.  A few months from now the swelling will go down and then you can see what you look like.  Its not uncommon for a bit of separation with the wedge technique - although this may have been the best technique for your anatomy.  A revision if necessary should not be a major surgery but only a "nip and tuck."  Wait and be patient.  Good luck!

You will need a revision of your Wedge method Labiaplasty

Hello Clare Rose,

Although, you didn't post a pre-op photo I'm sure you look much better than before, so you should step back a bit and appreciate the improvement. You do have the option of leaving things alone and settling for where you are today. 

Now, I do see the areas of concern which are typical and, unfortunately, common following a wedge reduction Labiaplasty! Yes, your hood looks lower because of the type of Labiaplasty you chose to have pulls the hood posteriorly, or down, to approximate the remaining edges of your labia. This in turn causes tension and a high risk of separation.

If you want a revision I would recommend you see an expert cosmetic vaginal surgeon who has experience in revising prior labia reduction work. The risk with a revision would be repeat separation. To reduce this risk I introduced the use of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) 2 years ago at the time of a tension free revision Labiaplasty and have seen excellent results. See link below of a labial tear repair using PRP with excellent aesthetic results. Similar techniques would provide you with beautiful results. There is nothing that can be done about the downward position of your clitoris/clitoral hood. If this interests you please reach out to me personally.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Thank you for your question and photos.  Please give this at least 6 months to heal and then ask your surgeon to evaluate it.  Over time it will improve and may not need any revision.  Time and mother nature are on your side for a full recovery.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Though difficult to see in your pictures it appears that your wedge labiaplasty incisions have partially separated.  At six weeks out it is unlikely to change significantly in appearance, but I would allow your results to mature for at least three months and if this step off around the incision remains, you can have a small revision performed.  Best wishes.