Labiaplasty stitches - odor. Less air circulating down there?

1 month post wedge labiaplasty and have some stitches poking out. I also have a pulled down appearance now to my mons pubis area and a very strong odour that I never ever had before. Could this be due to the stitches or less air due to the new and not improved position of things? Less air circulating down there? I understand that people who have a mons lift or tummy tuck have improved odour after - so this is why I thought this might be an issue for me now. I have been checked for infection and all fine

Is it normal to have an odor and persistent stitches 4 weeks after labiaplasty?

Dear Clare Rose,

Thank you for writing in with your questions.  It is unusual to have superficial stitches persisting at 4 weeks after labiaplasty, so I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon and have them  trimmed or removed.  This may be the source of the odor. Collagen starts forming by 10 days to help keep the wound closed so you are not at risk for your incisions opening up at this time if they are removed.

In terms of the look being different, the wedge technique may have caused this change and you should also discuss this with your surgeon as well.  If you desire a revision in the future, please research surgeons who are  experts in labiaplasty techniques.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

San Antonio OB/GYN

Superficial labiaplasty stitches should be gone by 2 weeks...

There should never be "...stitches poking out..." 1 month after labiaplasty. This (stitches still there) means that your surgeon used very slow-dissolving larger sutures & this mayalso be the reason for the odor. It also may be the reason for the "pulled-down appearance," as there is far more scarring after surgery where large slow-dissolving surttures were used. 

All I can say is to give it another month. If there is still the "pulled-down appearance & it bothers you, see someone experienced for potential revision, but see someone who is comfortable with small caliber rapidly-dissolving sutures- who truly is a  micro-surgeon. As for the odor, see your Gyn about this- hard to diagnose this online...

Miahel P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Is your vagina suffocating after your wedge labiaplasty?

It's unlikely that you are experiencing "air flow" issues. More likely is that you're experiencing normal discharge as part of the healing process which should last a few more weeks. As for the pulled down appearance, that's a common tendency with wedge labiaplasty and it should have been explained to you clearly at the time of your initial consultation. The only people whose odor changes after abdominoplasty are those who had a large apron of fat (panniculus) that was the cause of the odor in the first place and not because of any effect on the vagina.

Post labiaplasty sutures and odors

should be checked by your surgeon.  You should see your surgeon and have the remnants of sutures still there removed to clean it up as best possible.  Your surgeon can also check you for infections or STD's at the same time.  You should not have malodor during your recovery.  If you are not washing with soaped fingers, it would be recommended that you do, again to clean up the area as best possible.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty

Labiaplasty results in removal of redundant skin and should make your tissues more aerated. I would consider a yeast infection if you are sensing more odor. Please follow up with your doctor.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Odor after labiaplasty?

An odor from labiaplasty could be a sign of an infection.  You mention you have suture material still present.  This should probably be removed.  Sometimes the sutures themselves can become infected.  This prevents the skin from healing.  This should be an easily treatable issue. You need to see your doctor.

Strange Odor?- See your surgeon

You should not have an odor change from a properly healing labiaplasty. If this persists I would see your surgeon again. You might still have an infection issue. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Stitches and odor after labiaplasty

We use slowly dissolving sutures to hold the tissue together.  That some are still present is not uncommon.  They are helping with the healing.  Your tissue strength will benefit from their presence. If we removed the the stitches now if would be uncomfortable. Yes, you can clean the area to minimize the odor.  You do not need to use antibiotic ointment now, except to possibly keep the stitches softer so that they do not stick you.  Vaseline would work as well.  The normal bacterial of this body area will slowly re-establish their balance and the odor will decrease to normal, as well. You should discuss this with your surgeon, as well, at your next follow-up visit.

John M. Weeter, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your new onset odor.  It was wise that you were seen by your surgeon to ensure that no infection or other issue was taking place.  In many patients the inability to clean as before surgery due to the surgical incisions, as well as the moisture, dissolving suture material, and any ointment application can cause some temporary changes in smell.  This will resolve as your healing progresses and your results mature.  Hang in there and be in touch with your surgeon for any changes in your recovery.  Best wishes.